V2 Request RRS feed

• Question

• Quick request;

In a future/next version would it be possible for Add-Ins to be provided with a specific path for storing files/config info, and for this to be treated as separate from the OS partition (e.g. not blitzed upon a reinstall)?

I'm trying to find a nice way to deal with some data that the user really wouldn't want to lose, yet may not want to place on a shared folder since a) they may not want it shared, b) they may accidentally delete either the share or certain files.

(it probably wouldn't be a good idea to backup the actual Add-Ins incase one led to the need to reinstall, but their settings should be ok).

Thanks!

Andrew

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:21 PM

Answers

• Andrew, take a look at the application folder example code. I think application folders do everything you're likely to be looking for.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:31 AM

All replies

• Andrew, take a look at the application folder example code. I think application folders do everything you're likely to be looking for.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:31 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Duh, I'd totally forgotten about the application folder stuff! Now you've reminded me I've rechecked and the docs are a little vague about this.

There's a duplication flag so obviously the data can be preserved, so I'm assuming the only way this is false is if the WHS box only has a single drive?

Also there's no mention of whether the data is preserved upon a system restore. Again I assume this is the case but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks for pointing that out!

A.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:00 AM
  • Andrew, I think you're going to have to play around with it to figure out the limitations, but my understanding of the IApplicationFolder class is that you can set the IsDuplicated property if you want the data to participate in the Drive Extender duplication process, so you get to decide. I doubt that you'll be able to set it successfully if there's only one disk, of course...
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:25 PM