Windows Live Onecare Restore to different computer RRS feed

• Question

• My Toshiba Laptop died on me and i bought a new Compaq laptop, I had my Windows Live Oncare backup on an external hard drive and when i connected it to my new Compaq i tried doing a restore and this is the messagae i received.

Unkown problems are preventing Restore from Continuing at this time. To correct this problem try again later, or restart you computer.

I've tried both of these and keep getting the same message. HELP ME!!

Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:05 PM

Answers

• The first thing that I suggest trying is to configure backup on the new install of OneCare on the new laptop. Point the backup to the same location as the old backup. Then run the backup, which should be quick since the PC is new.
    Then use the restore wizard to restore from another PC and you should see and be able to restore the backup from the old PC.
    Note that the restore wizard expects the backup to be of the same attachment type as it was when created. That means that is the old backup was created using a plan defined as Centralized backup and the external drive was the location where the Hub PC was backing up to (even if only one PC) then your new PC needs to be a Hub and the new backup plan needs to be configured as Centralized Backup for all PCs, pointing to the same location. If the drive was attached simply as an external USB drive to the old PC and backup was configured to be single PC backup, then the new PC should be set up the same way.
    If none of that helps, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:35 PM

All replies

• HI!

Have you installed WLOC on your new laptop?  If not yet, i suggest that you install WLOC first then try restoring the backup again. Just make sure also that you associate it with your subscription.

-----
    bayabasgirl29
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:14 AM
  • yes i installed  WLOC before ever trying a restore to the new computer. but thanks anyway!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 3:42 AM
  • The first thing that I suggest trying is to configure backup on the new install of OneCare on the new laptop. Point the backup to the same location as the old backup. Then run the backup, which should be quick since the PC is new.
    Then use the restore wizard to restore from another PC and you should see and be able to restore the backup from the old PC.
    Note that the restore wizard expects the backup to be of the same attachment type as it was when created. That means that is the old backup was created using a plan defined as Centralized backup and the external drive was the location where the Hub PC was backing up to (even if only one PC) then your new PC needs to be a Hub and the new backup plan needs to be configured as Centralized Backup for all PCs, pointing to the same location. If the drive was attached simply as an external USB drive to the old PC and backup was configured to be single PC backup, then the new PC should be set up the same way.
    If none of that helps, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Friday, June 12, 2009 12:35 PM
  • Stephen - one follow-up question,

My laptop also crashed.  I used my laptop as my central hub pc for OneCare.  I was also using an external hard drive for my backups.

So, I started instaling software to my desktop while my laptop is being repaired.  All I want is to get the Microsoft outlook file (I need to figure out where THAT is as well) so I can restore my mail and mail folders.  However, I can't get OneCare to restore the backup from the external drive. 

My question - should I unstall and ersinstall OneCare on my desktop and specify the external drive as the backup drive for my desktop?  I think that's sort of what you were alluding to in your previous answer to the other user(?)
    Dexter - dexterm@mindspring.com
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Stephen - one follow-up question,

My laptop also crashed.  I used my laptop as my central hub pc for OneCare.  I was also using an external hard drive for my backups.

So, I started instaling software to my desktop while my laptop is being repaired.  All I want is to get the Microsoft outlook file (I need to figure out where THAT is as well) so I can restore my mail and mail folders.  However, I can't get OneCare to restore the backup from the external drive. 

My question - should I unstall and ersinstall OneCare on my desktop and specify the external drive as the backup drive for my desktop?  I think that's sort of what you were alluding to in your previous answer to the other user(?)
    Dexter - dexterm@mindspring.com
    The fact that the Hub PC is the one that crashed and the backup was a Centralized backup pointing to an attached external drive might be an issue, making things a tad more dificult. The first thing to try is to make the desktop PC the hub, then reset the backup plan to do Centralized backup to the external drive attached to the dekstop. After saving the new plan, see if you can perform the custom restore and see the backup set for the laptop. Your Outlook file, if you didn't move it or rename it, is called Outlook.pst and it was located here:
    XP- \Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    Vista- \Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    Note that this folder branch is hidden, so you'll need to show hidden files and folders in Explorer options to see it.
    Alternatively, you can extract the Outlook.pst from the zipped back up files, though this will be more painful. You will need a 3rd party compression utility such as WinZip to open the files and you'll probably need to take ownership of the backup folder tree to open them, too. You will need to open them one at time to find all parts of the Outlook.pst file, which is likely to have been chopped into pieces before being backed up inside multiple zip files. Once you have extracted all the parts, you will need to rename the parts to have the extensions of .001, .002, .003, etc. And then you will need to rejoin the bits using this utility (free) - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/  
    Once rejoined, you can import the contents of that .pst file into the new one created when you open Outlook and configure it for use with your email account(s).
    Good luck.
    -steve
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:03 PM