DAT drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Does anyone here, or does anyone know if WHS supports DAT drives, I would like to if possible install a DAT (as I have one lying around) and if possible take an image of the OS, and any other info I would like to permanently retain.

Or does this have to be done from another PC on the network? as I know its not 'advised' to RDC into WHS

Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:25 AM

All replies

• Look at this thread

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/bdac0bca-06f7-4d95-87fa-e8d699ed8cba

it seems best not to use a tape drive as it cant backup the same way as hdds do etc.

HMG
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Backing up your server comes up pretty regularly; someone should write a FAQ, I suppose. :)

Traditional backup tools don't successfully back up Windows Home Server in most cases. I would save the DAT drive for other purposes. Or sell it; that's what I did when I moved to Windows Home Server several years ago. :)

For the system partition: there's volatile information on the system partition about the state of your server. Restoring a backup taken several weeks or months ago will probably result in severe issues. For your shares, most backup tools pick up only the "tombstones" from D:, without getting the actual data behind them. So you could restore a backup that would result in significant data loss.

Given that most servers are OEM units from various manufacturers, and are headless, the restore method is limited to a server reinstallation/recovery (whatever your installation media or manufacturer calls the recovery process) which wipes the system partition and (if replacing the system drive) rebuilds the primary data partition, D:. For backing up your shares, there's a tool built in to the product that will let you back up to external storage.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:23 PM
  • There's no great harm in using Remote Desktop to access the WHS.

You should be quite cautious about what you do there, as the large warning will tell you, but you won't do harm by looking.
     "Tiberium" wrote in message news:5e92cb48-8ed4-4d82-b66b-78e07be6e519@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi all,

Does anyone here, or does anyone know if WHS supports DAT drives, I would like to if possible install a DAT (as I have one lying around) and if possible take an image of the OS, and any other info I would like to permanently retain.

Or does this have to be done from another PC on the network? as I know its not 'advised' to RDC into WHS

Bill Sanderson
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:03 PM