Feature request: Backup WHS to a 2nd remote WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• WHS is a great product.   I'd like to see a feature added that allowed one WHS to be backed up to a second offsite/remote WHS. 

An example scenario would be when several family members all have a WHS and broadband connection.   Allowing WHS #1 to be remotely backed up to WHS #2 and vice versa.  This would provide both local and offsite backups, and a second way to access WHS content should one of the WHS servers be inaccessible. 
    Robert
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:11 AM

All replies

• You can submit feature requests through Connect . But before you submit this one, please run the numbers on it, because it's impractical for the average family.
    • What's your upstream bandwidth? I.e. how long would it take to transmit everything in your shares?
    • Do you have a bandwidth usage cap?
    • Can you pass the contents of your shares through it even once?
    • What happens if you exceed it?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

Those are good points, and for some folks might make some type of WHS-sync feature unusable.

I did check the Connect site and there are several similar feature requests - #272456,  #376384, #259265, #304303.   Looks like there are others who would like some version/feature set of 'WHS sync'.  

Also, let me make one clarification....the initial sync between two WHS servers would probably have to be side-by-side (e.g not across the public internet) to address the bandwidth and time issues you mentioned.   Only updates would be make across the internet.   

And, there would need to be a mechanism to specify which folders/files should be synced.   For my purposes, only personal files and data would need this level of protection.  OS/system/program files may not need to be synced. 

I agree with you that everyone may not want to own multiple home servers, or have the required bandwidth or usage.   But there are some scenarios where PC raid, WHS backup and a synced WHS in another location provide the best protection for users data.

I think a good user-interface could be developed for this type of feature that allows users to set locations, folders, sync time, bandwidth caps, servers,  etc. 
    Robert
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:27 PM
  • For a server backup, the only good user interface is the button that says "Back Up The Server". Then the server figures it out more or less on it's own. :)

One of the key design tenets of Windows Home Server is to remove as many adjustments, lists to pick from, buttons to push and knobs to turn as possible. To "make the right choice" for the user, because the target market segment for Windows Home Server is not you and I (technology enthusiasts), it's the Excel jockey with two kids and a couple of computers at home. And that person is likely to be intimidated (to the point of paralysis, in some cases) if using a feature of the product requires them to figure out a lot of settings.

Also, there's a simple answer today. The server backup feature lets you back any share or shares you like up to external storage and take that external storage to a place of safe-keeping. You could easily restore those shares on a server in another location.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:12 PM