Large Drive Size Limitation RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy folks!

I initially set up my server (WHS2011) back in about 2010 and quickly added a 3TB HD to the system only to find that WHS2011 was unable to format and use the entire 3TB due to an NTFS limitation.  I have doing some research tonight and it seems that there are rumors of work-arounds for this old problem now. 

I fried a motherboard a year and  a half ago and never got the system back running again until this week, and now am wondering which work-around has the best promise of actually making the entire 3TB of my drive available to WHS.  Any suggestions on where to look for the best solution?  Stabelbit sounds like a winner, and its pretty cheap, but if there is a no-cost way of doing this I;d like to try that first.  Either way I have to move all of my old files off of the storage drive and format the drive, just looking for the best and/easiest option.

Ron

Sunday, February 8, 2015 4:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• AFAIK, WHS2011 will not boot from a GPT-partitioned drive but will be able to use it. Assuming this is not your OS drive and that the data is backed-up/transferred, simply use Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management to convert that drive to a GPT-partition.
    • Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RonVand Sunday, February 22, 2015 3:11 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 1:03 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Just addition, please also refer to following articles and check if help you.

Understanding the 2 TB Limit in Windows Storage

Windows support for hard disks that are larger than 2 TB

How to back up the data in volume which is larger than 2TB?

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RonVand Sunday, February 22, 2015 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:47 AM
  • Thank you Justin.  I had read the first article in my initial search for the answer to this problem and understood the issues, but I had not run across the second article.  That one seems to be the answer to my question as it gives pretty simple directions on how to go about setting up a GPT drive. 

Now I have to back up all the data I have stored on the 3tb drive to other drives and re-initiate the drive as a GPT.  Fortunately I have plenty of drives.  Thanks again for the help!

Ron

Sunday, February 22, 2015 3:11 AM