Name not showing on the start menu RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched for an answer to this but no one seems to have asked the question so I think my install has not been as trouble free as I imagined  .In xp the user logged into the computer always has his/her username on the top of the start menu .In WHS mine isnt .It isn,t a problem to me but it is to my 5 year old who has just got to grips with having to put a username and password in to get on .So much so she is actually beginning to go and use the old computer which is intended for her leaving this one to me .There is probably an obvious answer so apologies in advance if there is .
    Monday, June 25, 2007 7:19 PM

Answers

• Are you using the server computer as a workstation?

If you are, that is not the intended use for WHS. WHS is designed to be used without a keyboard, monitor or mouse as a place to centrally store your important files, backup your home computers and access your files and computers while away from home.

Monday, June 25, 2007 7:30 PM

All replies

• Are you using the server computer as a workstation?

If you are, that is not the intended use for WHS. WHS is designed to be used without a keyboard, monitor or mouse as a place to centrally store your important files, backup your home computers and access your files and computers while away from home.

Monday, June 25, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I said there would be an obvious answer -just didnt think it would be quite that obvious! Neccessity (ie funds ) have meant that I have had to use my main computer as the server so yes at the moment it is also being used as a workstation .Thanks for your quick answer.John
    Monday, June 25, 2007 7:39 PM
  • No problem Just make sure you read and understand the Administrator’s Desktop section of the WHS Release Documentation. It describes ways you can accidently break WHS functionality using the administrator desktop.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 8:20 PM