Icare cannot conect wirelessly 1 HP coputer to another HP laptop sitting on same desk. RRS feed

• Question

• have the One Care trial installed and all went perfectly, EXCEPT the
    wireless setup.

I have a 1 year old HP desktop Pavillion a1610n, 4200+ CPU's, and 1 year old
    HP Pavillion Laptop 1.6 Ghz.

Both worked before 1 Care with my D-link 614 router. I had a WEP address
    there (before Care 1) because it seemed not to work with WA or 128
    inscription.

Now I see that 1 Care uses 128 bit encryption and I do not know how to
    change that.

Anyhow, with putting all the information on a thumb drive and then using it
    on the laptop never connects.

Any suggestions?

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:04 PM

Answers

• After I got a new Belkin Wireless G network card for my laptop, and having set my router to wireless G mode only, as Belkin doesn't recommend running the router in wireless b mode only to make it more compatible with a wireless B network card, and properly setting it up on my 6 year old WindowsXP latop, I was finally able to activate and update Live OneCare 2.0 over a wireless internet connection.

It helps to have a wireless G network card, and properly setup the card and router for wireless G in my case.

I'm using the more secure WPA security, and never got the popup to have OneCare, setup wireless security for me.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:01 AM

All replies

•  

Hello Ritter197,

Thanks for the feedback!  My name is Scott Hoogerwerf and I am the Program Manager for the WiFi Security feature.  Could you provide some additional information so I can figure out exactly what's going on?  Specifically:

• Did you use OneCare to secure your home network (i.e. click the "Turn on wireless security" action item)?
    • If so, did you turn off security on your router before you did so?

Thanks!

Scott

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:20 PM
  • I've got a similar problem like the first poster. Soon as I install OneCare 2.0 on my laptop, my wireless connection to my Belkin Wirless G router is completely disabled by Live OneCare 2.0, and I can't get on the net with my laptop after that.

Then on top of that, OneCare will not activate or download any udpates over the wireless connection. There is no excuse for this happening, and I have my router set up correctly to allow for a wireless internet connection from my router.

After I remove Live OneCare 2.0, I get my internet connection back, and wind up losing a few dll files for Easy Media Creator 7.

No, I'm not going to disable security, and leave myself wide open, and I configured my router manually for security.

Quite frankly the program should have been left in beta for another few months, to get these issues and others fixed before shoving it out the door.

I'm sitting here with no antivirus or antispyware software on my laptop as a result of this, and I'm about ready to remove Live OneCare 2.0, and get a competing program, and get that installed and working one way or the other.

Friday, November 23, 2007 10:31 PM
  • I'm sorry to read of your problems with OneCare and you Belkin router, though it isn't related to this thread origins, I believe. My recommendation is to contact support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

It may be an issue with your router's firmware or some other feature on the router.

-steve

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:48 AM
  • Why am I smelling cowpies right now, with your claim that it may be an issue with the router firmware or some other feature of the router. The fact of the matter is, is that I can hook my laptop up via network cable and activate just fine, which I shouldn't have to do.

I do have a Wireless G PCMCIA network adapter on order, and it should be here hopefully by the end of next week. If the Wireless G network adapter, doesn't help, it's going to be good by Live OneCare, and Microsoft will never get another cent out of me, until OneCare's bugs are fixed completely and totally.

One more thing, I can take any other antivirus program, including programs that compete against Microsoft's Live OneCare, install them and activate over the wireless connection just fine. So kindly don't feed me anymore cowpies, that it's an issue with the router firmware or another feature of the router.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:24 AM
  • Please understand that I am not laying blame, I am only speculating. The fact that OneCare is having a problem with your wireless connection could well be a OneCare problem. Only by reviewing this in detail with support will we be able to find out - hence my suggestion to contact support.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:24 AM
  • I disocovered something, that doesn't sit too well with me. The people that wrote this program, honestly don't know what they are doing. You don't force someone to install and activate using a standard ethernet connection. This program should have been written from the start to allow for installation and activation using either a standard ethernet connection or wireless, rather than make a user install and activate first using a ethernet connection, and then switch to wireless once the activation and updating is done. I discovered this after a search on the net.

I have a wireless G PCMCIA card coming, which won't be here until next week, as there was a delay in getting it ordered until today, getting it ordered. Seems, my wireless router doesn't get along with the wireless B PCMCIA card that came with my laptop.

My advice, would be to take OneCare 2.0 back to the drawing board, and code it to support activation and updating over either ethernet or wireless, and do away with this BS, of forcing one to activate and update over a ethernet cable before switching to wireless.

As a result, I'm testing a competing security package right now, and can't really see if I can get OneCare 2.0 to work, using a wireless connection until next week, as there is a possibility that because my Belkin router doesn't get along with the wireless B network adapter on my laptop, it might in some way be affecting Live OneCare 2.0, but sadly I won't be able to find anything further until next week.

On another note, another thing I discovered, and it could be that the two games I'm about to list need a patch, is that Live OneCare 2.0 causes Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask Of The Betrayer to crash to the desktop, after a couple of hours, and also causes Loki: Heroes Of Mythology to crash at random, when loading a new area.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:45 PM
  • You can activate OneCare over any valid, unobstructed Internet connect - including wired, wireless, dial-up, cellular via Bluetooth tether, etc. I'm not aware of any limitations on the connection type. If, however, something is obstructing the path - other security software, hardware security in the router, etc, you may have a problem installing, activating and updating.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:07 PM
  • I'm in the process of replacing the wireless B network card that came with my laptop with a wireless G network card.

There isn't anything obstructing the path. Another thing I don't like is that if I turn the security features in the router off, and use Live OneCare to set it up, it sets the router up for WEP security, which with the right software is easily cracked.

I'm hoping the new network card for my laptop will help dramatically, otherwise I'll have to activate using a wired connection, and then switch my laptop to wireless.

Friday, November 30, 2007 5:57 AM
  • After I got a new Belkin Wireless G network card for my laptop, and having set my router to wireless G mode only, as Belkin doesn't recommend running the router in wireless b mode only to make it more compatible with a wireless B network card, and properly setting it up on my 6 year old WindowsXP latop, I was finally able to activate and update Live OneCare 2.0 over a wireless internet connection.

It helps to have a wireless G network card, and properly setup the card and router for wireless G in my case.

I'm using the more secure WPA security, and never got the popup to have OneCare, setup wireless security for me.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:01 AM
  • I'm glad to read that your issues was resolved, Nightowl224. Thanks for the follow-up.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:12 PM
  • You're welcome.

I'll be quite honest, Live OneCare 2.0 is the only product I've seen so far, that will work decent on my desktop and laptop, without using a boatload of ram and slow down of either system.

As for my games, they need patches, it wasn't Live OneCare 2.0, causing them to crash.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Well, I'm doubly glad to read that you are not only successfully activated, but pleased with the current OneCare performance on your systems.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:11 AM
  • My 6 year old laptop only has 512MB of ram. I hope to one of these days, get the funds together to get a better laptop, but that can't be done right now.

It helps that my dekstop is running Vista 64 with 4GB's of ram and a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.

If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I would place a bet on some of the problems with OneCare 2.0 when it comes to activating and updating over a secure WIFI connection, being a wireless network and wireless router, including the wireless network card not being properly setup and configured, in some of the situations.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:19 AM