Import visual studio's report to ms CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i have created a report on leads say xyz.rdl,

now i want to import that report to ms crm how to approach it.

i tried copying file to reports folder of crm but its not showing in ms crm.

Thanks & Regards Vijender Reddy
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:03 AM

Answers

• Well, now that you've provided an actual error message, you might receive some helpful assistance.  For the record: "Adventure Works Cycle" is a mock company that often comes with various Microsoft products as sample data.  Often, it's a meta-representation in examples for where your own information should appear.

The valuable portion from your error is this:

Request information:
    Request URL: http://iic-crm/_vti_bin/sitedata.asmx
    Request path: /_vti_bin/sitedata.asmx
    User host address: 192.168.1.9
    User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
    Is authenticated: True
    Authentication Type: Negotiate
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

This shows that, while the Application Pool for the CRM site in IIS is operating under the Network Service account, some component is trying to run under the Local Service account (for the host at 192.168.1.9), and being denied because it is not identified as a CRM user.

Normally, the machine name (the computer's domain account) of the CRM server is listed in several Active Directory groups, and registered as the "SYSTEM" user within CRM itself.  Your error may be caused by some alteration to the computer's domain account, the Local Service association to the machine name, or CRM's user databases.  That is generally all determined by the installation of CRM, but can be altered at a later time.

Identify the source of the host address and its relationship to the CRM server, and we can go from there.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:35 PM

All replies

• Go to CRM --> Workplace --> Reports --> New

Report Type = Existing Report

Browse and select the rdl file.

Click Save & close.

• Proposed as answer by VarunKumar17 Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Hello.

You should go to Workspace - Reports - Click new - Select Existing file option from picklist - Define root to the file - Select Location where report appears (Report Area/Entity Grid/Entity Form), select related entity type, Click Save or Save & Close.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:03 AM
  • thanks ,

i created a report on leads using visual studio reporting sevice,and generated .rdlc file i imported into crm successfully.

the problem is that when ever i try to run the report im getting file download  prompt,its not running the report but downloading it.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Is this problem faced within CRM alone? For a particular report?

Had you tried to run the corresponding report from ReportSerever?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:44 PM
  • You want to upload the .rdl file, which is basically an XML file.  I don't believe the report integration is configured to work with the .rdlc components.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Vijji MSL Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:09 PM
  • @above

how to create custom reports,is there any workaround apart from ssrs reporting, since im falied to run reports.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Did u get the answer?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Follow the process identified by Vinoth and Andriy to upload the .RDL file that you have created with Visual Studio's report builder.  Do not upload a .RDLC file--there is no indication that this will work.  I would recommend reviewing the recent CRM Team Blog posting by Donna Edwards regarding various documents and instructional resources for writing CRM reports .
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Vijji MSL Friday, October 29, 2010 7:34 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:04 PM
  • @david

Thanks dude,

the document is very much helpful in gaing the basics of ssrs,thanks but it didnt solve the problem still... 

upon downloading the report i found that the connection properties of the ms crm report as follows: Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=Adventure_Works_Cycle_MSCRM,

there is no data source and database with that name in my crm server database,how come this connection valid and ms crm running reports with this connection.

there is only way to edit the ms crm report using BI,but while assigning datasource to the report,it throws error

Cannot open database "Adventure_Works_Cycle_MSCRM" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'xxxx'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 4060)

Friday, October 29, 2010 8:15 AM
  • You need to select the appropriate MS CRM organization as your datasource database when working on the report in Visual Studio.

When you are uploading the report in CRM through report area (not in report server), CRM will automatically map the datasource to the organization in which you are importing the report.

Friday, October 29, 2010 8:29 AM
  • @ vinoth

yes i have given the correct organisation details,here im having single organisation so no confusion,my datasource details as follows.....

Data Source=CRM-DEMO;Initial Catalog=iic_MSCRM

and from my above post i couldnt find adventure_works_cycle_mscrm database,where could i find this ?? not in databases

as ur saying that when uploading the file onto ms crm the crm will automatically map the datasource

but the crm is not acceptig the new report,it throwing error like

an error has occured....

and in event viewer i found this....

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 10/29/2010 3:45:29 PM
    Event time (UTC): 10/29/2010 10:15:29 AM
    Event ID: 8a0c675cd68d4d8fa0221727e4e94783
    Event sequence: 2664
    Event occurrence: 54
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root-1-129328059027635333
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /
        Application Path: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\
        Machine name: IIC-CRM

Process information:
        Process ID: 5500
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: CrmException
        Exception message: No Microsoft Dynamics CRM user exists with the specified domain name and user ID

Request information:

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 7
        Is impersonating: True
        Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.WindowsAuthenticationProvider.QueryForOrganizationId(String userToken)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.WindowAuthenticationProviderBase.Authenticate(HttpApplication application)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.AuthenticationStep.Authenticate(HttpApplication application)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.AuthenticationPipeline.Authenticate(HttpApplication application)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.AuthenticationEngine.Execute(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

thanks in advance

Friday, October 29, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Well, now that you've provided an actual error message, you might receive some helpful assistance.  For the record: "Adventure Works Cycle" is a mock company that often comes with various Microsoft products as sample data.  Often, it's a meta-representation in examples for where your own information should appear.

The valuable portion from your error is this:

Request information:

This shows that, while the Application Pool for the CRM site in IIS is operating under the Network Service account, some component is trying to run under the Local Service account (for the host at 192.168.1.9), and being denied because it is not identified as a CRM user.

Normally, the machine name (the computer's domain account) of the CRM server is listed in several Active Directory groups, and registered as the "SYSTEM" user within CRM itself.  Your error may be caused by some alteration to the computer's domain account, the Local Service association to the machine name, or CRM's user databases.  That is generally all determined by the installation of CRM, but can be altered at a later time.

Identify the source of the host address and its relationship to the CRM server, and we can go from there.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:35 PM
  • I think the situation can be resolved by uploading the report as a user that is not the "SYSTEM" account.  The "SYSTEM" account often cannot make certain actions in CRM, and uploading reports could be one of them.  I don't know how the interaction has taken the "SYSTEM" credentials, but if you open IE by right-clicking and selecting "Run As...", you should be able to define credentials for a specific user (one that has "Publish Reports", "Add Reporting Services Reports", and "Create", "Read", "Update", "Append", and "Append To" privileges on the Report entity), you should be able to successfully upload it.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 7:06 PM