WHS Console "This computer cannot connect to your home server" - and Can't Restore Files RRS feed

• Question

• I have reviewed numerous posts on this problem and none seem to resolve my issue.  I have WHS (v1) PP3. Everything works, EXCEPT I cannot connect to the server from any client computer using the Console.  So I cannot restore any files (You can't restore from the server console).  I have 6 cleints including XP, Win 7 Pro, Win 7 Home Prem, Vista.  On none of them can I connect via the console.

My primary objective is to restore files that were backed up from a client computer. If there is some work around where I don't need to use the WHS Console on a client computer, please advise! i'll go right to that solution and skip trying to fix this and possibly upgrade to 2011.

I have done the following and think I can rule them out:

1. Networking.  The server name resolves fine from all clients.  I can access the server shares, can access server via RDP, and the connector software installs (and resinstalls) fine. The discovery tool works fine.  Backups work - machines are being backed up.  I modified the hosts file on 3 machines to include the server name and IP of server..  No luck. Access to the web interface from client computer's using the server's machine name works fine too.

2. Connector - I manually uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted.  Same error.Did that on 3 machines.

3. On the XP machine uninstalled .Net 3.5 SP1. Reinstalled Connector. Still no help.

4. Completely removed the firewall software from the Server (was using SEP MR6) and turned off Windows Firewall. Disabled every possible 3rd part software service in Computer Management.

5. Enabled Netbios over TCP on server and clients.

6.  I am using the Connector software dated 1/10/2011 (the date stamp for the WHSConnector)

7. The server computer is up to date Windows Update Wise.

Since no clients can connect I suspect it is a server side issue.  Any help would be appreciated.   Again, i just need to restore client files - if i can accomplish that I can reinstall the OS or upgrade.

Thanks!

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:01 AM

Answers

• You can try running "clientrestorewizard.exe" on your Client (in the ..\Windows Home Server\ directory) and restoring to say a Client USB connected drive . I can't remember whether this just allows a complete restore or whether you can select individual files - in any case you should be able to get all the required data on the USB drive.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Clientrestorewizard.exe will restore a complete drive image to any attached drive that's large enough. It's the same tool that the home computer restore cd uses, just hosted in a fully Windows environment instead of a WinPE environment.

As for restoring to C:, in Windows it's not possible to restore a drive that contains the currently running OS, so that's why C: was greyed out.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Shaboyi Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:22 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:47 PM

All replies

• When you connect by RDP, can you open the WHS console from within WHS?

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have reviewed numerous posts on this problem and none seem to resolve my issue. I have WHS (v1) PP3. Everything works, EXCEPT I cannot connect to the server from any client computer using the Console. So I cannot restore any files (You can't restore from the server console). I have 6 cleints including XP, Win 7 Pro, Win 7 Home Prem, Vista. On none of them can I connect via the console.

My primary objective is to restore files that were backed up from a client computer. If there is some work around where I don't need to use the WHS Console on a client computer, please advise! i'll go right to that solution and skip trying to fix this and possibly upgrade to 2011.

I have done the following and think I can rule them out:

1. Networking. The server name resolves fine from all clients. I can access the server shares, can access server via RDP, and the connector software installs (and resinstalls) fine. The discovery tool works fine. Backups work - machines are being backed up. I modified the hosts file on 3 machines to include the server name and IP of server.. No luck. Access to the web interface from client computer's using the server's machine name works fine too.

2. Connector - I manually uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted. Same error.Did that on 3 machines.

3. On the XP machine uninstalled .Net 3.5 SP1. Reinstalled Connector. Still no help.

4. Completely removed the firewall software from the Server (was using SEP MR6) and turned off Windows Firewall. Disabled every possible 3rd part software service in Computer Management.

5. Enabled Netbios over TCP on server and clients.

6. I am using the Connector software dated 1/10/2011 (the date stamp for the WHSConnector)

7. The server computer is up to date Windows Update Wise.

Since no clients can connect I suspect it is a server side issue. Any help would be appreciated. Again, i just need to restore client files - if i can accomplish that I can reinstall the OS or upgrade.

Thanks!

BullDawg
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Yes I can.  It works fine. 
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:48 AM
  • A couple of things to check.  Mostly a shot in the dark, but might help.

1.  When you try to connect from the client, ensure the WHS admin password is entered, the same one you entered when installing WHS.
    2.  Check the date, time zone, etc in WHS and clients to ensure they agree.
    3.  WHS and clients are connected to same router and on same sub-net.

Best of luck.  If I come across anything additional, I will post back.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Yes I can. It works fine.

BullDawg
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:35 AM
  • thanks.  those are all good. 

Do you (or anyone) know if there is a way to restore client data without using the Console? Or maybe a hack to allow the console on the server itself (which works) to restore data? 

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:27 AM
  • You can try running "clientrestorewizard.exe" on your Client (in the ..\Windows Home Server\ directory) and restoring to say a Client USB connected drive . I can't remember whether this just allows a complete restore or whether you can select individual files - in any case you should be able to get all the required data on the USB drive.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:25 AM
  • I agree with you that this is a server-side issue, whether it's on the server itself or on some device that's between all your clients and the server. So, have you installed anything at all on your server?

Also, it might be worth trying to set up a virtual machine, join it to your server, and see if you can restore from that. Probably you'll have the same results, though...

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:02 PM
  • thanks. i am away this weekend but will try that monday.  But question: does that only work with a USB? because I did see that and ran it  from the client and it opene but the main system drive was greyed out.  it would not allow viewing of files so i assume it is complete restore only - which would be fine to a usb so long as I can get at the files.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:41 PM
  • thanks - so the VM would be installed on the server?  i have all sorts of stuff on the server, but i disabled all of the 3rd party services in computer services.  the only think recently installed was Quickbooks 2011, and i disabled those services.  i also googled around and understand that it should be compatible.  i can remove it completely i suppose....i also have Backup Exec and SpectorSoft on there, but they have been there for ever and no problems previously.  i suppose i could uninstall these too??? rather not, they are a pain to configure.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Clientrestorewizard.exe will restore a complete drive image to any attached drive that's large enough. It's the same tool that the home computer restore cd uses, just hosted in a fully Windows environment instead of a WinPE environment.

As for restoring to C:, in Windows it's not possible to restore a drive that contains the currently running OS, so that's why C: was greyed out.

• Marked as answer by Shaboyi Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:22 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:47 PM
  • The clientrestorewizard worked and i got all the data, so that is great, thanks.  I did try the VM and got the same error.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:21 AM