The WMC TV Archive Transfer Service is not running. RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to access the TV Archive button on my WMC computer, I'm getting the following error:

'The Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service is not running.  Please start this service and try again.'

When I go to view the services on the computer, it shows that this service is stopped.  When I try to start the service, it says that it started and immediately stopped.

I've tried rebooting the computer multiple times with the same results.

This was working earlier today...

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 12:33 AM

Answers

• I had a similar problem in Windows 7.

Is TV Archive trying to compress a program?
    Check your "copy-to"setting and make sure that it is set to a folder on your local computer (like your C:\Users\Public\Videos) and restart tour computer?
    You also might want to check out this know issue on connect as your problem may be related to yours.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:06 AM

All replies

• I had a similar problem in Windows 7.

Is TV Archive trying to compress a program?
    Check your "copy-to"setting and make sure that it is set to a folder on your local computer (like your C:\Users\Public\Videos) and restart tour computer?
    You also might want to check out this know issue on connect as your problem may be related to yours.

- Theo.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Theo,

I can't get into the TV Archive section to change my archive path.  When I try clicking on the button, I get the error message and MWC stays on the menu selection.

Is there a settings file I could manually modify to change my archive path?

Thanks
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Ah....
    Actually, on my initial PP3 test on Windows 7,  I remember having this problem. The service would not start at all or crashed when going to the "TV Archive". I finally got this working by simply uninstalling the Windows Home Server Connector, and then re-installing it. So you could try that. After that the service only crashed at trying to convert a program. That problem was then solved by changing the "copy-to" settings.

Beeing unable to determine the cause nor able to repeat the problem I did not file a bug report.

Firstly check the service settings of the "Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service" (start->run, "services.msc"). It should be set as "Automatic", Logon as "Local System Account" with "Allow service to interact with the desktop". Any errors the systems Event list after trying to start the service?

Would you then please file this problem as a bug on MS Connect? So the Team can have a look at this problem and maybe present you with a workarround on this.

-Theo.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately after reinstalling the WHS connector software, I am still receiving the error message.

I did fill out a bug report: #480288.

Hopefully a solution will be found soon - I would like to be able to utilize this feature again soon!

Thanks again.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Great!
    Just validated your report

-Theo.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

I am having the same exact issue, is there a solution? This seemed to work at first since there are some archived on the WHS but the service on the Windows 7 RC box will not start.

JAC
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:51 AM
  • I am having the same issue too. Reinstall, but not help...

Update
    Uninstall connector, remove all whs folders and registry keys, remove computer from whs console when install connector again.
    After that all works just fine.
    Only lost backups.
    • Edited by Alex.Shvetsov Friday, September 25, 2009 8:38 AM Update
    • Proposed as answer by Alex.Shvetsov Friday, September 25, 2009 8:39 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2009 4:23 PM
  • I am having the same issue too. Reinstall, but not help...

You (and JAC35) should both file a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:04 PM
  • I am having the same issue. I have removed the WHS Connector and tried multiple reboots but I cannot get it to start. Even through the services.msc it will not start.

Has anyone found a fix?

Thank you,

Tim
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:15 AM
  • And I've now got this problem on the final version version of PP3. But it worked fine on the beta!!

i guess the bug didnt get fixed....
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Same problem here. I have been using the PP3 Beta fine for a while and today upgraded to the RTM version and cannot get the TV archive service to start. Is there any recommendations on what to do with this as I had got used to the functionality!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Actually, I managed to get mine working by uninstalling the Windows Home Server Connector on the Media Centre machine using add/remove programs then re-installing the WHS connector from the server, followed by the Media Center Connector. After a reboot the transfer service worked ok. Although my other problem of having no audio in compressed tv files does not seem to have been fixed...

Good luck!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:37 AM
  • I hadn't used the PP3 Beta and installed it yesterday and got the same error that the service wasn't running.  I was able to fix it by closing out of Media Center, and than launching the program as an administrator.  Once launched, the TV service worked fine.  After closing Media Center again and running it without elevated privileges it worked fine.

-Sean

http://connectedcommuter.com
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:45 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem with the public PP3 release.  Unfortunately, Sean's solution doesn't seem to be a complete fix - when I reboot the PC the transfer service stops again.  Bizarrely, starting 7MC as administrator doesn't seem to be a certain fix - sometimes it work, and sometimes it doesn't.

Come on Microsoft - time to support WHS users and try to recognise the problem and investigate a fix...
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Hi,
    If you want to help MS solving this problem, please file a bug report to Connect.

(Btw: Can you verify that the "startup type" of the Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service is set to "Automatic (Delayed Start)"? This effectively means that starting the service is delayed until a few minutes after reboot: if you boot up the system then immediately start Media Center it will complain that the service is not started. Just wait a minute or two, then try again?)

Assuming the service does not start on your system: any errors in the Event list?
    - Theo.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

I finally found the cause for this problem just a couple of minutes ago. The point is that the transfer service references version 6.0. of the ehRecObj.dll assembly. This version of the file is no longer on the systems that show this exception. With the new rtm version of the power pack comes version 6.1. which normally should be used by the service.

So why doesn't it? The point is that normally there should be a policy in place that automatically redirects the service to use the new 6.1 version.

The fix is to look in c:\windows\assembly\gac_msil for a folder that looks like this Policy.6.0.ehRecObj. If you find it there should be two files. One dll and a config file with the following content:

<configuration>
       <runtime>
          <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
                <dependentAssembly>
                    <assemblyIdentity
                      name="ehRecObj"
                      publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"
                      culture="neutral"
                    />
                    <bindingRedirect
                      oldVersion="6.0.3000.0"
                      newVersion="6.1.0.0"
                    />
                    <bindingRedirect
                      oldVersion="6.0.3100.0"
                      newVersion="6.1.0.0"
                    />
                    <bindingRedirect
                      oldVersion="6.0.6000.0"
                      newVersion="6.1.0.0"
                    />
                </dependentAssembly>
          </assemblyBinding>
       </runtime>
    </configuration>

Somehow that policy was not installed on the affected systems. To do so, simply copy the dll in a folder (i.e. c:\temp) and do a gacutil.exe /i ehRecObj.dll on it. That should fix the problem.

If you don't have gacutil.exe, just navigate an elevated explorer to c:\windows\assembly and drop the file there. That should do the trick...

If you have any questions, just drop me a mail at JohRest@hotmail.com...

Cheers
    Johannes

Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hello Johannes,

Great findings!
    I think the location of the assembly/policy file may depend on the OS version (in my case - Win7-64bit - they are at C:\Windows\winsxs). Also probably most users will have problems repairing there system.

Would you please submit your finding to MS Connect? This will help MS solving this problem for other users with similar problems.
    Tnx,

- Theo.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi Theo,

did just that, but there's only a form for the beta. I did the best I could in filling out their form. I hope that this will allow them to fix it in a later release.

Cheers
    Johannes
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Thanks!
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Hi Theo,

did just that, but there's only a form for the beta. I did the best I could in filling out their form. I hope that this will allow them to fix it in a later release.

Cheers
    Johannes

Can you link it here, please?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Hi Ken,

what do you mean by "link it here"? I'm not that familiar with posting here... could you give me some more information on how to do it?

Cheers
    Johannes
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:18 AM
  • The easy way is to go to your feedback/bug report on Connect, copy the URL from your browser's address bar, and paste it here. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:26 PM