Does WHS 2011 reinitialize all disks upon initial installation? RRS feed

• Question

• I gave up on WHS a few months back and started using W7 as my in-house server.  However, I'm back with a copy of WHS 2011 since I do miss some of the WHS features.  Before I install WHS 2011 do I (should I) delete all the partitions I was using for W7?  In other words, what will WHS 2011 do with the 3-640 GB disk drives I had been using for W7 "Server".  The main reason I am asking is one of the drives that contains all my Photos, Music, Software and other shared stuff and I would like to just "transfer" it to WHS 2011.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 2:26 PM

Answers

• WHS2011 will wipe the disk you install on to create C: (for the OS) and D: (data shares). I would recommend installing with only the intended OS disk attached and ideally wipe it clean before you start. As for transferring data, the following will help (which is what I did to install WHS2011 after the beta/RC installations) but is also applicable to your situation:

•     In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
    •     Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
    •     Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
    •     Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
    •     Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:47 PM
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  Things worked out just as you said and saved me a lot of time.  Thanks again.
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• WHS2011 will wipe the disk you install on to create C: (for the OS) and D: (data shares). I would recommend installing with only the intended OS disk attached and ideally wipe it clean before you start. As for transferring data, the following will help (which is what I did to install WHS2011 after the beta/RC installations) but is also applicable to your situation:

•     In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
    •     Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
    •     Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
    •     Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
    •     Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  Things worked out just as you said and saved me a lot of time.  Thanks again.
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:47 PM