The genuine key that you bought can only be used 1 time. Period..... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ok, so get this, I got my genuine product key updated via the keyupdatetool.exe and it works, and I verify that it's genuine with the WGADiag2.exe program. But after I do this I cannot log back into windows xp after I restart. I try re-installing windows xp and that doesnt work, because I find out my hard drive was damaged. So I went out and bought a new hard drive. Re-installed windows xp using my "invalid key" then used the keyupdatetool.exe again to change my key to genuine. This time I get a different message about how the key was changed but something else... blah, blah...

So then I get this Windows Activation alert, telling me I have 30 days to activate my copy of windows. So I click the balloon to activate windows, It opens, and I choose via the Internet. And then at the top of the screen it says " this key has exceeded its usage amount" or something along those lines.....

So basically, I spent over $200 and only have 30 days to use my copy of windows.

I hope that I get my Genuine Advantage CD by then, so maybe I can reinstall it with the genuine key I paid for, and bypass this activation BS.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 2:17 PM

All replies

• Tim29:

I'm sorry for the problems you are having.

Have you tried calling in to have your Windows activated?  When trying to activate you should get an option to call, that will give you the phone number to call in for activation.

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:18 PM
  • I got it working, and I got my windows xp cd in the mail. I'm happy now
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:45 AM