Setting the 'To' field of an email in a workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to send a notification email in a workflow - the recipient of the email (the 'to' field) is determined by business logic (relating to values in the case record and related custom entities). Sometimes this logic will return an email address belonging to a systemuser, other times it may be a single email address for a non-CRM user, and still other times it may be multiple email addresses for non CRM users.

I've set up the CRM options so that emails can be sent to unverified addresses, and I can achieve the requirement when addressing the email manually - i.e. I can create the email and manually type in the email address I want it to go to. However this needs to be an automated process - a workflow. The users are not going to be able to know which email addresses should be used in which circumstances.

The problem I have is how to address the email to a non system user in a workflow? The workflow UI wants to use a systemuser, queue or customer record to pull the email address from. I can type in the address, but realistically this would mean having an if statement for every permutation - this isn't feasible.

Ideally in the workflow I'd like to pull in a text field from a related entity that contains the right email addresses for the circumstances. The text field will contain either a single email addresss, or a semicolon seperated collection of email addresses.

I'm pretty sure I can do this with a custom workflow (see http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/crmdevelopment/thread/9572e84c-3757-4598-929e-6649e483f29e), but I'm wondering if there is a way to do this in standard workflow?

Regards,

Paul

Paul Dowman, CRM Developer
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Paul,

Unfortunately you have to choose the way of custom development because OOB functionality doesn't provide functionality you need.

In the case you want to get this functionality in future versions you should left suggestion at the Connect website.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Follow Andriy on Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Paul Dowman Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Thanks Andriy,

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer :) 

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Dowman, CRM Developer
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:09 PM