Is SQL Server 2012 Express adequate in preparing for 70-461, 70-462, 70-463 exams? RRS feed

• Question

• Is SQL Server 2012 Express adequate in preparing for 70-461, 70-462, 70-463 exams?

I’m assuming that the express edition would be enough to practice and fill in gaps in my knowledge for the material on the 70-461 exam. I’m not sure about the other two exams.

I'm not asking if a complete newbie should just get the express edition and hope to learn everything needed for the exams. I already have quite a bit of experience writing queries and designing databases. I know I am lacking in experience but not completely ignorant of much of the other material covered in the three exams.

I have not tried the virtual labs and don’t know how much practical experience they provide.

I do plan on using study materials including Transcender or something similar.

I currently use SQL Server 2008 at work writing queries. Right now, I do not have the opportunity to get practical experience at work in other areas.

Would you suggest purchasing another version for home use? What would I be missing as far as prepping for the exams just using the express edition?

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:54 PM

Answers

• While you may get away with using the Express edition for preparing the 70-461, it will certainly NOT be enough for 462 and 463.

The Express edition does not include a lot of the options covered in 70-462, such the Agent, SSIS (installation of SSIS is in 462), clustering, resource governor, Profiler, Tuning Advisor, columnstore indexes, always-on, mirroring, replication (publisher)...

As to 463, basically nothing of what is covered by this exam can be done with the Express Edition. There is no SSAS or SSIS, Data Quality or Master Data Services.

As an alternative, there are a few choices:

- Use the Virtual Labs. You are not limited to only following the instructions for the labs; you get full access to a Virtual Machine that includes SQL Server, where you can perform additional experiments beyond the ones that are written in the lab instructions.

- Use the Evaluation version. This expires a few months after you have installed it, but it should give you enough time for preparing your exams.

- Buy the Developer Edition. This costs $50 if I recall correctly, and the functionality is the same as the Enterprise Edition. The license does not allow you to use it for production work, but experimenting with it privately in order to learn how to use it should be a legitimate use.

Sunday, June 8, 2014 5:39 AM

All replies

• While you may get away with using the Express edition for preparing the 70-461, it will certainly NOT be enough for 462 and 463.

The Express edition does not include a lot of the options covered in 70-462, such the Agent, SSIS (installation of SSIS is in 462), clustering, resource governor, Profiler, Tuning Advisor, columnstore indexes, always-on, mirroring, replication (publisher)...

As to 463, basically nothing of what is covered by this exam can be done with the Express Edition. There is no SSAS or SSIS, Data Quality or Master Data Services.

As an alternative, there are a few choices:

- Use the Virtual Labs. You are not limited to only following the instructions for the labs; you get full access to a Virtual Machine that includes SQL Server, where you can perform additional experiments beyond the ones that are written in the lab instructions.

- Use the Evaluation version. This expires a few months after you have installed it, but it should give you enough time for preparing your exams.

- Buy the Developer Edition. This costs $50 if I recall correctly, and the functionality is the same as the Enterprise Edition. The license does not allow you to use it for production work, but experimenting with it privately in order to learn how to use it should be a legitimate use.

Sunday, June 8, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Thanks, Alberto. That was helpful. I was wondering if the Developer Edition would be enough and would've asked about it in a follow-up question. You answered that question.
    Monday, June 9, 2014 12:57 PM