Using WHS To Access A Web Accessable Application RRS feed

• Question

• If I am using xxxxxxx.homedns.org to access an application on my network can I somehow make this application accessible by using my xxxxxxx.homeserver.com domain? 

Friday, August 14, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• Probably you will have to choose one or the other to be available, assuming both applications are using ports 80 and 443 (on different servers). To do otherwise you will require a reverse proxy server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Actually I would like to not access it on homedns and access it via homerver.com.  So that's possible?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:10 PM
  • From where? From inside your home or from outside?
    If from inside, some routers may face problems with loopback connections.
    If from outside, it may work, if your application uses different ports than the standard WHS Ports and these are forwarded in the router also to the proper system, hosting the application. Be aware, that installing additional applications on WHS itself is unsupported. You should also know, that the bandwidth of outgoing traffic from home (which is the download speed for external users) is usually very limited and much slower than the download speed of your connection.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Actually I would like to not access it on homedns and access it via homerver.com.  So that's possible?
    Could you please describe, clearly and concisely, what exactly you're trying to achieve? If you're trying to have two servers on your home network, both running applications on ports 80 and/or 443, then you will need a reverse proxy server to sort things out, as I said previously.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Not trying to host two servers.  I now currently reach my phone system using a Dyndns address I created.  I basically want to access this using my homeserver.com domain.

My phone system for some reason requires its software on originating and destination pc's. It uses Apple's Bonjour to "discover" the phone system remotely.  Bonjour is included in the phone software. The system apparently cannot be accessed from a browser.  It opens in it's own "window" when the originating connection has the software installed otherwise no connection can be made.

I've said a lot.  Know that my current process is not broken I just want homeserver.com to send traffic to the app and not the dns address.

Is this possible?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:53 AM
  • The phone system is in this context also a server (a web server).
    As long as you can use a different port than the big 3 WHS wants on its own from the client to connect to the homeserver.com address it could be enough, to establish port forwarding for traffic incoming on this specific port to whatever port your telephone system has internally.
    (i.i. http://xyz.homeserver.com:1111 for addressing port 1111 on the router and the router has to be configured to the port the telephone system uses itself)
    If the Bonjour software, which I don't know, is not capable to do so, a workaround could be to establish a Remote Desktop connection to your WHS or any other machine in your home and control if from there.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:22 AM
  • If your phone system is currently reachable from off your network using a homedns.org address, then I would expect that it's also reachable using e.g. jshollis.homeserver.com. Both of those DNS entries should point to the same IP address, and if you can access it remotely, your router is already configured to forward the correct ports.

So, have you tried it?

Bonjour probably figures into this only after the router configuration is taken care of. Bonjour is Apple's zero-configuration networking tool; it's similar to UPnP in that it allows remote discovery of devices and services.

If your phone system requires any configuration to work with a different URL, you should probably consult with the vendor...

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Been a week since I could return to this.  I tried it but I am not sure I set it up right.

The phone system uses port 9393.  I just unassigned in the router and reassigned under HPSERVER.  Do I need to RDP to the server to make any changes?

Since the phone sys uses 9393 I tried xxxxxx.homeserver.com:9393

Would this be the way to do it?

The phone software is already installed on the server.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Hm the software installed on the server - not supported I would say.

Anyway, since you already have done this, the only detail to check are the settings of the Windows Firewall on WHS. There needs to be created an exception for the mentioned port and traffic from all networks allowed.

Olaf
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:43 PM