Probing Of Wireless Router RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure where to begin, of if I'm even in the right forum, or if this has been mentioned before, and I would like to hear from somebody on the OneCare Support Team. I tried emailing support, and all I got was an error of some sort, don't remember what, that something was wrong or other and that was it.

When LiveOneCare probes my router, which isn't needed and uncalled for, Live OneCare 2.0 drops my internet connection. No other internet security package I know of does this. I've checked the Windows Vista Log for Live OneCare, and it shows a WinSS error, that it couldn't probe my router. I'm not very happy that Live OneCare 2.0 is probing my wireless router, and dropping my internet connection everytime.

I originally thought it was driver related to the onboard NForce Networking, or something wrong with my router or ISP, but I know otherwise now and hope, this issue is fixed in the upcoming update for Live OneCare, otherwise I have to consider switching to another internet security package, much as I hate the idea, as I don't really want to go back to WindowsXP at this point and time.

Other issues I ran in to with Live OneCare, have been fixed by getting rid of the release canidate of the Vista Service Pack, and by downloading and installing the latest updates, to Vista from Windows Update. This included getting rid of KB 931365 which was installed when I tried Trend Micro Internet Security 2008, as I never ran in the problem that update fixes.

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:28 AM

Answers

• Turning on QOS Packet Scheduling helps, to keep from getting bumped off the net all the time. From what I was able to determine, Windows Vista needs QOS Packet Scheduling enabled to maintain a stable connection to a network or to the internet. Now it be time to work things out with OneCare.

Unlike somepeople, I went and secured my router on my own, without needing the aid of software to do it for me. I realized, that I was better off by securing my wireless router myself, rather than letting OneCare do it for me. I recently discovered that OneCare 2.0 will probe my wirless router, every time I have to reboot, and it shouldn't be doing that, it should only do the security probe every 24 hours. This part of OneCare needs to be changed in some way, even if the programmers don't totally disable it.

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:18 PM

All replies

• Update, I had a probing of my wireless router on Sunday night, I rebooted once, even power cycled my modem and router, and still no internet connection. I finally got my internet connection back, after I uninstalled Live OneCare 2.0 and rebooted.

I'm not very happy about this, as I mentioned, because I like Live OneCare, due to it not using a boatload of resources like other programs, and now have no choice but to use a competing program, until I know one way or the other, that this mess will be fixed in the upcoming update.

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:59 AM
  • What is the make and model of your router?

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:12 PM
  • I have the Belkin F57230-4 Wireless G Router version 7000, firmware version 9.01.10. It's on the approve list of wireless routers. I have also had this happen with a wired router, which happens to be a Linksys BEFSX41.

I'm not crazy about flashing back to an earlier firmware, which could in effect open the router up to some security problems.

I hope you can pass this on to the OneCare team, or someone from that team can post here. Until I know one way or the other that the upcoming update fixes this problem with my router being probe and knocked off the internet by OneCare 2.0, I have no choice but to use a competing program, as I mentioned before.

Currently OneCare 2.0 is not installed on my system, I had to remove as I mentioned before, to restore my internet connection.

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:03 PM
  • I'll pass this on. I certainly understand the reason for switching for now.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Thank you. I'm hoping this gets fixed in time, to come out with the upcoming update.

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Since the update is imminent, I don't know if I'd count on it being resolved in this update, unless the OneCare team already identified the specific problem earlier. As soon as I hear anything, I'll post back. I know that a previous modem reboot problem was resolved by a minor update that was deployed to everyone as part of regular updates, so it may be similar in this case.

-steve

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:17 PM
  • I'll keep an eye on the forums, and see what happens.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Update:

As of February 1ST, I will be getting either a Gigabit PCI Lan card or a wireless lan card, I had another dropping of my internet connection on Tuesday night, and the only way I could get it back, was to reboot my computer. I think there is something very wrong with the NForce network drivers, dated May 2007, and the ones from August 2007, as they both lose my connection to the internet. The lan chip for the onboard lan was not designed by Nvidia, but by Marvell, and Marvell isn't the greatest. The trouble may not be entirely with Live OneCare 2.0. I've had it with the NForce Networking, it's giving me too much trouble. I'm not exactly sure what's causing the driver to act up in this way, as the PCI Lan Teaming software, along with the Nvidia Network Access Manager was never installed.

I won't know for sure, until I get a PCI Lan card or wireless lan card, using a Intel or Realtek chipset.

The two lan chipsets that have proven to be the most reliable for me are Intel and Realtek.

Here's the model of my cable modem, purchased directly from my ISP. Ambit Cable Modem, Model U10C018.

Steve, I hope this further information helps, if you can pass it on to the OneCare team.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Let me know if the problem goes away when you change the NIC.

Thanks for the additional details about the cable modem. If the problem persists after the NIC has been changed, we can point the finger at the OneCare router probes.

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:44 PM
  • I did some further troubleshooting, and turned on QOS Packet Scheduling, as I had, had it disabled for this long, believing it would get me faster internet speeds. I found out otherwise recently, that the claims about QOS Packet Scheduling are Bullcookies.

I'm testing things right now, to see if I will get knocked offline at some point. If I don't have further trouble, I will post back here, and let you know.

It is possible, I'm assuming that my troubles were the result of not having QOS Packet Scheduling installed and running for my setup.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Steve,

I really would like to see the feature of Live OneCare probing the wireless router totally removed. It really isn't needed, and is nothing more nothing less than a nuisance. It probed my wireless router twice today, and it shouldn't be doing that.

I'll post back here in a few days, as to whether or not installing the QOS Packet Scheduler and turning it on helped or not, and I'm waiting to get my hands on the Vista Service Pack, which could be coming out at any time, to see if that will help things, on the operating system side of things.

If it further helps, here's the os I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Edition, and if necessary I can post my system specs too.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I don't think that probing the router is a problem, but apparently there have been at least one or two modems or routers that crashed when probed, so I tend to agree with you somewhat. On the other hand, the theory behind the probe is to secure the perimeter. Most home users plug in the wireless router and *never* change the password or enable security, so OneCare checks to make sure that this has been done. It would perhaps be nice to allow this probe to be disabled or scheduled, but now we're looking at advanced functionality and OneCare is designed to protect us from ourselves - the weakest link in the security for a PC is not bugs in the OS or programs, but the person using the computer. OneCare is an effort to make decisions for us to protect the computer from attack without the need for us to make too many decisions about it.

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:55 AM
  • Turning on QOS Packet Scheduling helps, to keep from getting bumped off the net all the time. From what I was able to determine, Windows Vista needs QOS Packet Scheduling enabled to maintain a stable connection to a network or to the internet. Now it be time to work things out with OneCare.

Unlike somepeople, I went and secured my router on my own, without needing the aid of software to do it for me. I realized, that I was better off by securing my wireless router myself, rather than letting OneCare do it for me. I recently discovered that OneCare 2.0 will probe my wirless router, every time I have to reboot, and it shouldn't be doing that, it should only do the security probe every 24 hours. This part of OneCare needs to be changed in some way, even if the programmers don't totally disable it.

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:18 PM