Windows XP OEM help RRS feed

• Question

• I  built myself a nice machine about 14 months ago and bought a OEM version of XP to install on it, only problem is i've had loads of problems with the motherboard and now its died... does this mean I need to buy a new version of windows when I purchase a new motherboard? obviously I don't want to purchase the same motherboard as its been nothing but trouble.
    Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:40 PM

Answers

• Paul R52,

As a rule, once a systembuilder/OEM license for XP has been installed on a given computer, it cannot be moved to any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since they are just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the "base" component.  Therefore replacement of the motherboard in a system, for licensing purposes, creates a different computer.

There is an exception to this policy to cover situations where a motherboard is being replaced because it is defective.

When you call for activation, please be sure to stress to the phone rep that the motherboard was defective and is being replaced.

Monday, September 25, 2006 5:10 PM

All replies

•  Paul R52 wrote:
    I  built myself a nice machine about 14 months ago and bought a OEM version of XP to install on it, only problem is i've had loads of problems with the motherboard and now its died... does this mean I need to buy a new version of windows when I purchase a new motherboard? obviously I don't want to purchase the same motherboard as its been nothing but trouble.

Install your current OEM version of Windows XP.  If you are unable to activate via the internet, then activate by phone.

How to activate Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Sunday, September 24, 2006 10:05 PM
  • So it is possible to install this OEM version again on a different motherboard?

It's just that I've heard once you install it on one system if you change the motherboard it won't work anymore.

Thanks
    Sunday, September 24, 2006 10:25 PM
  • hello
    Monday, September 25, 2006 2:41 AM
  • Paul R52,

As a rule, once a systembuilder/OEM license for XP has been installed on a given computer, it cannot be moved to any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since they are just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the "base" component.  Therefore replacement of the motherboard in a system, for licensing purposes, creates a different computer.

There is an exception to this policy to cover situations where a motherboard is being replaced because it is defective.

When you call for activation, please be sure to stress to the phone rep that the motherboard was defective and is being replaced.

Monday, September 25, 2006 5:10 PM
  • Thank you Dan and Carey your information has been most helpful I just hope that they will re-activate my xp when I call them.
    Monday, September 25, 2006 6:44 PM