Shares - Failing (Check Health) RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched for this issue and have read that you are supposed to run chkdsk on each letter that appears in c:\fs I have run chkdsk /r but when I look at the log files it suggests using the /f switch. Is it safe to use the /f switch as I have not seen any post suggesting to use this? The long and short of it all is that I have about 20 file conflicts, I do have backups and I was simply going to copy the data back, but WHS will not allow me to delete the original files. Please advise on how to proceed. Regards,
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:43 AM

Answers

• OK, sorry I have been away for a while.

I have managed to try all of the above but no joy, even tried the WHScleanup tool to no avail.

What did work:

Switching off duplication on the affected shares allowed me to delete the 'dodgy' files, on all but one share.

For the other share I had to copy off the data remove the share, which only went after three attempts. Recreated the share and copied the data back.

Finally I have a green network icon again.

I don't like the fact that these kind of errors are so difficult to deal with. If I were and end-user with no IT skills this would have been out the window a long time ago. I think there should be buttons to press that 'automatically do everything possible' when the dreaded words 'failing (Check Health)' come up rather than just passing comment.

I am also a little concerned that switching off duplication fixed a lot of the problems, if the system can't see a file and duplication is on, why can't we have WHS report it as such and give us an option to recreate from the the copy it can see?

Thanks for all the help Olaf and Karyia21.
    • Marked as answer by Villa Elsa Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:26 PM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    the FAQ How to check all drives in your server for errors gives you the commands to do so as you may have seen. The switch /r implies also the /f switch.
    How did you try to delete the offending files - via the share or directly in the file system on all places?
    If the files are no longer available in the folders below the DE hierarchy on any disks, you may try to remove the files with the command
    fsutil reparsepoint delete <filename>
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, June 8, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thank you for your reply.

fsutil reparsepoint delete <filename> does not work; I get accessed denied. Even though I am logged on directly to WHS.

Any other ideas.

Regards,
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Hi,
    are you logged in with Administrator account or another one?

You may also check this thread for more information in context with a similar problem.

Olaf
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

I am logged in as the administrator.

I still can not get rid of these file conflicts. Any other clues?

This is all after a recent fresh install last month at which point I decided this WHS's last chance!

Regards,
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Two other potential possibilites:

Can you by chance delete the folder one level higher (with rd /s foldername from command line)?
    If not, would it help to create the files in the expected target location below DE on the disks? A simple renamed text file as placeholder should be enough.

On the server, open the folder %qlogs% from Start/Run dialog and check the log files for more detailed error messages refering to those files. Post found errors here, since the possibilities for blind help seem to be near the end.

Olaf
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:50 PM

Can you by chance delete the folder one level higher (with rd /s foldername from command line)?
    If not, would it help to create the files in the expected target location below DE on the disks? A simple renamed text file as placeholder should be enough.
    Could you elaborate a little more. i.e. Where would I perform the rd /s perhaps d:\de\shares?

I am not quite sure where or what you want me to do with regard to creating a text file. Sorry to be stupid!

I found refernce to some of the files in part of a QSM log file here:

FolderEvent started
    ComputeAdviseArray started
    ComputeAdviseArray ended (2)
    FolderEvent ended
    Checking service DriveExtenderMigrator state Service DriveExtenderMigrator state = 4
    Checking service DEFilter state Service DEFilter state = 4
    Did not find UseThirdPartyMediaSharingProvider value, assuming not set (hr=0x80004005) [14/06/2009 15:41:05 1480]
    Fix volume snapshots [14/06/2009 15:41:05 1480] Monitoring thread Calculating sizes
    WARNING: D:\shares\MJ\Music\The Jackson 5\Anthology [Part 2]\07-Music and Me.wma failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\MJ\Music\Weird Al Yankovic\Even Worse\06 Lasanga.mp3 failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\MJ\Videos\Documentaries\The Bad European Tour - Summer '88 [VHS]\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP failed with status Unknown 5023 [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0]
    Chkdsk done [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0]
    Chkdsk returned 2 [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0]
    Monitoring thread is checking disk @ C: [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0]
    Executing C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C chkdsk.exe C: >"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\chkdsk_C_.log" [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0]
    Chkdsk done [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0]
    Chkdsk returned 2 [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0]
    Monitoring thread is checking disk @ c:\fs\Y [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0]
    Executing C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C chkdsk.exe c:\fs\Y >"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\chkdsk_c__fs_Y.log"
    WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\07 - Carry On Cabby [1963] [DVD]\Thumbs.db failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\07 - Carry On Cabby [1963] [DVD]\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\27 - Carry On Behind [1975] [DVD]\Thumbs.db failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\28 - Carry On England [1976] [DVD]\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\28 - Carry On England [1976] [DVD]\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[DEMONSTRATION]\DTS Demonstration DVD #4 [DVD]\DTS Demonstration DVD #4.dvdid.xml failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[DISASTER]\Flight 93\mymovies.xml failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5
    WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[DRAMA]\Oliver Twist\mymovies-back.jpg failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 Share Websites = 35646627 bytes. Mount Point: D:\shares\Websites ShareEvent started ComputeAdviseArray started ComputeAdviseArray ended (2)
    ShareEvent ended Folder Windows Home Server Computer Backup = 143337213952 bytes.
    Mount Point: D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    FolderEvent started ComputeAdviseArray started
    ComputeAdviseArray ended (2)
    FolderEvent ended

Hope this helps you help me!

Regards,
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:23 PM

Could you elaborate a little more. i.e. Where would I perform the rd /s perhaps d:\de\shares? I am not quite sure where or what you want me to do with regard to creating a text file. Sorry to be stupid! I found refernce to some of the files in part of a QSM log file here: FolderEvent started ComputeAdviseArray started ComputeAdviseArray ended (2) FolderEvent ended Checking service DriveExtenderMigrator state Service DriveExtenderMigrator state = 4 Checking service DEFilter state Service DEFilter state = 4 Did not find UseThirdPartyMediaSharingProvider value, assuming not set (hr=0x80004005) [14/06/2009 15:41:05 1480] Fix volume snapshots [14/06/2009 15:41:05 1480] Monitoring thread Calculating sizes WARNING: D:\shares\MJ\Music\The Jackson 5\Anthology [Part 2]\07-Music and Me.wma failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\MJ\Music\Weird Al Yankovic\Even Worse\06 Lasanga.mp3 failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\MJ\Videos\Documentaries\The Bad European Tour - Summer '88 [VHS]\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP failed with status Unknown 5023 [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0] Chkdsk done [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0] Chkdsk returned 2 [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0] Monitoring thread is checking disk @ C: [14/06/2009 15:41:49 12a0] Executing C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C chkdsk.exe C: >"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\chkdsk_C_.log" [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0] Chkdsk done [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0] Chkdsk returned 2 [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0] Monitoring thread is checking disk @ c:\fs\Y [14/06/2009 15:42:49 12a0] Executing C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C chkdsk.exe c:\fs\Y >"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\chkdsk_c__fs_Y.log" WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\07 - Carry On Cabby [1963] [DVD]\Thumbs.db failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\07 - Carry On Cabby [1963] [DVD]\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\27 - Carry On Behind [1975] [DVD]\Thumbs.db failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\28 - Carry On England [1976] [DVD]\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]\28 - Carry On England [1976] [DVD]\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[DEMONSTRATION]\DTS Demonstration DVD #4 [DVD]\DTS Demonstration DVD #4.dvdid.xml failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[DISASTER]\Flight 93\mymovies.xml failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[DRAMA]\Oliver Twist\mymovies-back.jpg failed with status DE_DUP_ACCESS_DENIED 5 Share Websites = 35646627 bytes. Mount Point: D:\shares\Websites ShareEvent started ComputeAdviseArray started ComputeAdviseArray ended (2) ShareEvent ended Folder Windows Home Server Computer Backup = 143337213952 bytes. Mount Point: D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} FolderEvent started ComputeAdviseArray started ComputeAdviseArray ended (2) FolderEvent ended Hope this helps you help me! Regards,
    Based on those warnings, it looks like you have Folder Duplication eanbled on (at least) those shares mentioned here.  Is that correct?  If so, that could explain why you can't delete the reparsepoints (there is still another copy of these files on a different hard drive).  Did you ever run chkdsk /r on each one of your drives?  What about looking at the event logs for error messages relating to hard drives?  (Chances are all of these files mentioned are on a drive that is failing and should be replaced.)
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Hi,
    besides what kariya already said, that a disk may be about to fail or have a corrupted file system, which could eventually be solved by a full chkdsk /x /r on each drive of the WHS, as explained in the above mentioned FAQ (so checking the event log is somewhat top priority):

You would try to delete a full folder, not one of the WHS main folder structures like
    The following may be dangerous and not work as expected, so you should also know, what you do here (if not, don't try it):
    Where would I perform the rd /s perhaps d:\de\shares?

but one of the sub folders, i.e.
    rd /s D:\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]
    rd /s c:\fs\<volumemountpoint>\DE\shares\Movies\[COMEDY]\[CARRY ON]

(I am also not sure, if the signs [ and ] are good to use. At least in context with Exchange message stores they are not recommended while they should be good in Explorer - but who always knows about side effects with components like folder duplication. But this would hit all these folders and not only a few files.)

WARNING: D:\shares\Movies\[DRAMA]\Oliver Twist\mymovies-back.jpg
    If corresponding files do not exist in any of the DE\shares subfolders like the above one, you could try to copy a txt file to that folder in DE\shares\Movies\[Drama]\Oliver Twist and rename it to mymovies-back.jpg. After doing so (eventually to all the DE folder locations), try to delete it from \\server\shares\movies\[Drama]\Oliver Twist via Windows Explorer and after doing so the remaining files from where you just created them manually.

Olaf
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:45 PM
  • OK, sorry I have been away for a while.

I have managed to try all of the above but no joy, even tried the WHScleanup tool to no avail.

What did work:

Switching off duplication on the affected shares allowed me to delete the 'dodgy' files, on all but one share.

For the other share I had to copy off the data remove the share, which only went after three attempts. Recreated the share and copied the data back.

Finally I have a green network icon again.

I don't like the fact that these kind of errors are so difficult to deal with. If I were and end-user with no IT skills this would have been out the window a long time ago. I think there should be buttons to press that 'automatically do everything possible' when the dreaded words 'failing (Check Health)' come up rather than just passing comment.

I am also a little concerned that switching off duplication fixed a lot of the problems, if the system can't see a file and duplication is on, why can't we have WHS report it as such and give us an option to recreate from the the copy it can see?

Thanks for all the help Olaf and Karyia21.
    • Marked as answer by Villa Elsa Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:26 PM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:26 PM