Windows 7 upgrades on 2 computers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 2 computers, one Laptop, and the other a tower. Both have windows Vista as OS. I would like to put Windows 7 on both. The desk top has a 64 bit OS, and the laptop is 32 bit. I looked around and there are two versions (32 bit and 64 bit), and two types (full or upgrade) of Win 7. What do I purchase?

Thanks,

GB

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:33 AM

Answers

• Purchase two retail upgrade license boxes or two retail full license boxes or one of each, your choice.  One for each computer.  A retail box contains one 32 bit and one 64bit dvd but only one product key.  You may install and activate one copy from a box and that consumes the product key for that box.  To upgrade two computers requires two boxes because you need two product keys.

Boxes sold with only 32bit or only 64bit are OEM boxes and not licensed for consumer use.  OEM copies are for new computers only because they do not upgrade, only clean install.

Be careful to purchase the equivalent editions or higher if you want to do an upgrade without having to reinstall your programs.  If you are running Vista Business, for example, don't buy Windows 7 Home Premium unless you want to have to do a custom installation.  A retail full license can still do the same upgrade that an upgrade license does.

My own recommendation is Professional.  It has a much longer support lifetime than any other Windows 7 sku.

Colin Barnhorst
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:54 AM
    Answerer