How Do I Install Bonjour & Firefly? RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen a few people here and on the net recommend installing these programs.  None of them seem to say how to do this.  It is easy enough to download the files to my non-Home-Server Desktop.  Where do I run them from?  Do I remote-desktop into the WHS and run them from the desktop?  (It didn't let me do this anyway).  Do I put them into the shared software folder and run them from there.

I am trying to avoid "accidentally" installing them on my main computer.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:41 PM

Answers

• HP used Bonjour (Apples take on zero configuration networking) and Firefly to support streaming of iTunes media to those devices that are capable of consuming Apple's DAAP protocol. This was on the EX47x series, which are now discontinued in favor of the new MediaSmart Servers. I don't have one of the new ones at the moment, so I can't speak to the specifics of the streaming there, but for all I know they're still using Bonjour/Firefly. Given that you indicate you have an HP MSS, you should be able to turn on media streaming (including iTunes media formats) through the console, with no need to install anything or connect via Remote Desktop.

As for other Remote Desktop use, power users tend to want to use Windows Home Server as either another desktop operating system, or as Windows Server 2003 Lite. Neither is a design goal for WHS, and a fairly large fraction of the problems that have been discussed in these forums are the result (directly or indicrectly) of trying to do so. Using the product as intended, the only time most people will ever have to use Remote Desktop is when there is a serious issue with their server and tye're instructed to do so by the vendor's technical support.

As a point of reference, I don't believe I've logged in to either my production or my test server via Remote Desktop for any reason other than to research the answer to a question from someone using WHS as Windows Server 2003 Lite for several months. I use the console for what little day-to-day admin there is to be done.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:46 PM

All replies

• jlsoaz said:

I have seen a few people here and on the net recommend installing these programs.  None of them seem to say how to do this.  It is easy enough to download the files to my non-Home-Server Desktop.  Where do I run them from?  Do I remote-desktop into the WHS and run them from the desktop?

Yes, but logging into the server desktop is unsupported.

jlsoaz said: (It didn't let me do this anyway).  Do I put them into the shared software folder and run them from there.

Try copying them to the server desktop and running them from there.

jlsoaz said:

I am trying to avoid "accidentally" installing them on my main computer.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:29 AM

• jlsoaz said: (It didn't let me do this anyway).  Do I put them into the shared software folder and run them from there.
    kariya21 said:
    Try copying them to the server desktop and running them from there.

Yup, I tried that too.  Didn't work.  Will try it again tomorrow.

As to remote desktop not being supported, I guess I'm aware of that.  Still, I saw Ken Warren recommend installing Bonjour and Firefly, in one context.

Anyway, I have given up on Microsoft taking any sort of defensible or credible or proper position with respect to these remote desktop logins.  They have worked with HP to sell me a device where such a login is necessary, and most of us know it, and there's nothing I can do about it.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:52 AM
  • HP used Bonjour (Apples take on zero configuration networking) and Firefly to support streaming of iTunes media to those devices that are capable of consuming Apple's DAAP protocol. This was on the EX47x series, which are now discontinued in favor of the new MediaSmart Servers. I don't have one of the new ones at the moment, so I can't speak to the specifics of the streaming there, but for all I know they're still using Bonjour/Firefly. Given that you indicate you have an HP MSS, you should be able to turn on media streaming (including iTunes media formats) through the console, with no need to install anything or connect via Remote Desktop.

As for other Remote Desktop use, power users tend to want to use Windows Home Server as either another desktop operating system, or as Windows Server 2003 Lite. Neither is a design goal for WHS, and a fairly large fraction of the problems that have been discussed in these forums are the result (directly or indicrectly) of trying to do so. Using the product as intended, the only time most people will ever have to use Remote Desktop is when there is a serious issue with their server and tye're instructed to do so by the vendor's technical support.

As a point of reference, I don't believe I've logged in to either my production or my test server via Remote Desktop for any reason other than to research the answer to a question from someone using WHS as Windows Server 2003 Lite for several months. I use the console for what little day-to-day admin there is to be done.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

HP used Bonjour (Apples take on zero configuration networking) and Firefly to support streaming of iTunes media to those devices that are capable of consuming Apple's DAAP protocol. This was on the EX47x series, which are now discontinued in favor of the new MediaSmart Servers. I don't have one of the new ones at the moment, so I can't speak to the specifics of the streaming there, but for all I know they're still using Bonjour/Firefly. Given that you indicate you have an HP MSS, you should be able to turn on media streaming (including iTunes media formats) through the console, with no need to install anything or connect via Remote Desktop.

Hi:

As it turns out, my goal is not to play any Apple format files.  It is to play FLAC or other lossless formats, in general, so that I don't have to lock myself in to more buying of, or properly-legal ripping-to, lossy lower-resolution audio formats for the next several years (or decades).

I just now went back in and re-enabled the itunes server via the console, but if it works (and so far it hasn't) this will affect about 3 files that I bought from Apple, and not the hundreds of MP3 files that I have either bought from Amazon or converted from files I bought from Rhapsody. 

(I did have one oddball experience the other day where I downloaded an mp3 file from amazon that in some way seems to not be recognized by windows media player or on the WHS, but which rhapsody can play.  Odd.)

Ken Warren said:

I seemed to find rd use necessary once every few weeks for various projects last year such as dealing with a UPS, or perhaps briefly some IP address assignment.  Lately I have not had to use it as much or at all until I started seeing some recommendations to try to install Bonjour and Firefly, first on the Roku forums, and then also, a bit, here. 

I disagree with your take on the level to which RD has seemed necessary, but I have not had time to document or recall the matters, where and under what circumstances it became necessary, or seemingly so.  So, I will simply state that I disagree, from what little I can recall.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:55 AM