none
Last date to take exam 70-432 is March 8th, 2013 before it is retired? (Also, how to purchase SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition?) RRS feed

• Question

• When is the last day one can take exam 70-432? From what I can infer going through the Prometric site, it is March 8, 2013. I see no availability beyond this. The official Microsoft link for test 70-432 suggests the cert it is associated with it (MCTS) "will only be awarded until July 31, 2013." I realize test 70-432 is being retired. But I haven't been able to discover any clear statement of when. And this statement seems not to jibe with what I have seen for scheduling to take the exam.

Also, it would be great to be able to purchase the SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition to help prep for 70-432. However, everywhere I look I get redirected to the 2012 Developer Edition. Evidently it is possible to purchase this (around USD $50) and "downgrade." Yet one also evidently needs the SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition media to do so. Seems like a chicken and egg issue. I don't have an MSDN subscription, so I cannot download the install files. Any other suggestions? I've been told Bulk Purchase licenses is one option. Seems like a hassle. But having a sandbox with SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition (evidently the same as SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition function-wise; just has a different use license) would be terrific.

Bottom line: when's the last day I can sit for the 70-432 exam SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance before it disappears forever? Might the March 8, 2013 date I see from Prometric Test centers indicate that one can't schedule exams out more than about 2 months in advance? Or something more dire--e.g. the exam drops off the schedule on March 8? Might Microsoft extend this date? Has it done so in the past for other products? Not that I would want to procrastinate any further.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• According to this blog post in BornToLearn:

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2012/08/01/upcoming-exam-retirements-and-availability-of-related-certifications.aspx

exam 70-432 is NOT retiring. Only the MCTS and MCITP certifications are retiring in July 2013, but not the exam. The fact that you could only register in Prometric until March 8 is probably due to Prometric only accepting registrations two months in advance of the exam date.

Sorry, I cannot help you with the developer edition of 2008R2. I installed mine from my MSDN subscription, but this is not an option for you.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. WhartyModerator Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dana 4321 Monday, January 14, 2013 11:18 AM
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:05 PM
  • I just did a quick search via Google and found plenty of places selling SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer edition.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Saturday, January 12, 2013 11:39 PM
  • I just did a quick search via Google and found plenty of places selling SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer edition.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

It's true that a google search will bring up vendors supposedly selling the 2008 edition. Try clicking through and you'll find yourself redirected to the 2012 Edition or told the 2008 Edition is out of stock. In a few rare cases (possibly eBay or Amazon.com marketplace vendors) you will see it available--for USD $1000+ or some other ridiculous amount.

If someone does click through and find they can buy SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition for around USD $50 (what the 2012 version goes for and about what the 2008 version should cost), please post.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:08 PM

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2012/08/01/upcoming-exam-retirements-and-availability-of-related-certifications.aspx

exam 70-432 is NOT retiring. Only the MCTS and MCITP certifications are retiring in July 2013, but not the exam. The fact that you could only register in Prometric until March 8 is probably due to Prometric only accepting registrations two months in advance of the exam date.

I hope that's the case. If true, I should be able to check Prometric tomorrow and then see availability for at least March 11th or the week of March 11 (?). Today, I still see only March 8th at the last available day.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:18 PM

I hope that's the case. If true, I should be able to check Prometric tomorrow and then see availability for at least March 11th or the week of March 11 (?). Today, I still see only March 8th at the last available day.

Checked this morning and March 11th opened up as an exam date. So Alberto you seem to be correct.

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:17 AM