Direct trunk with ITSP - SUCCESS! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I can now confirm that direct SIP trunking with ITSP is in fact possible with OCS2007 RTM!

I've been thinking for a long time: If trunking has been done already with Asterisk, PBXnSIP, SIPx, 3CX ets. why no one reported trunk with ITSP? I began checking with the providers and indeed BroadVox did offer SIP over TCP. With the last Mediation Server updates I decided to spend some time on this project.

Took me about 15 min. to receive my first inbound call, three days to find out why cant dial out (since this was their first TCP trunk, their firewall was blocking SIP over TCP) and... my trunk is up and running, inbound and outbound works (almost) as the previous test environment with AudioCodes MP114. I'm beginning certification process - that is, certification based on BroadVox's business trunk papers.

I'll keep you guys informed about the progress.

Drago

Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Drago,

Can you give us more information? I will love to link OCS 2007 Mediation server to any ITSP out there without using a gateway orlinux tricks...

1. Which version of OCS are you using? OCS 2007 or OCS 2007 R2?
    2. Which mediation server update did you use?

Thank you,

Yann
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Yann,

1. I'm using OCS 2007 (not R2

2. Updates on Mediation Server -
    KB943086, KB952780, KB956829

ITSP - Broadvox

Interestingly enough - I'm sending full E.164 number to the trunk , that is - including the "+" and it works.

They, however, send 10 digits without "+" and so I had to create a normalization rule in the dial plan that adds "+1" to any 10 digit number.

Thus far, we passed every test Broadvox asked me to do.

Drago

Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Thank you drago

I will try some test too with some ITSP.

Yann
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Just make sure the ITSP you select offers support for SIP over TCP...

Drago
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:21 PM
  • dragot - have you done testing of conferencing, transfers, forwarding numbers and simultaneous ring?  I did SIP trunking directly with NGT back in the summer time and there were issues with some of these (I forget which ones now, but I'm pretty sure simring was one of the problem areas) due to OCS's somewhat unusual use of SIP (in terms of what ITSPs expect to receive).
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:50 AM
  • So far we tested the following scenarios:

Party A - PSTN
    Party B - OCS
    Party C - OCS
    Alternative number - PSTN

Party A call Party B.

Party A call Party B. Call is established. Party B transfers to Party C and hangs up. Call continues between Party A and Party C.

Party A call Party B. Party B redirect the call to Voice mail (without picking the call). Party A leaves voice mail.

Party A call Party B. Party B redirects the call to alternative number (without picking the call). The call is established.

Party A call Party B. Call is established. Party B initiate conference with Party C. Parties A, B and C participate in the conference call.

We do not have PBX (IP or other) and simult. ring was not a subject of the tests.

Drago
    Monday, December 15, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Another good news: Broadvox certified the Interop trunk with OCS. See the quote below:

"...I took a look at your captures this morning. Everything looks great. I am clearing you for getting our full retail trunks. Once you have placed your order, we will convert this Interop trunk to the retail trunk and obtain new numbers that are local to your area. Once the new numbers are provided, we will release the numbers you currently have assigned. You can work with Mary to get the full order placed. We will leave the Interop trunk operational until it is converted to retail..."

Drago

Monday, December 15, 2008 1:39 PM
  • For simring I was just wondering about the configuration in Communicator, for example if you set MOC to simultaneously ring your mobile.

Is there a specific product you purchased from Broadvox for TCP connectivity?

Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Monday, December 15, 2008 2:50 PM
  • I'm sorry,

I misunderstood the question.

Just tested it. It does ring on Communicator and PSTN (cell phone) and I was able to pick up the call from my cell.

For the record: from Broadvox: "...The device you are signaling to is a NextPoint MSX 4.3m6 with SBC licensing..."

Drago

BTW, I'm not associated with them by any way. I'm a Network Administrator in college in central Georgia.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:03 PM
  • Could you please provide instructions on how you are doing this.  I am currently trying to make this happen.  It would be greatly appreciated!
    Monday, December 29, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Those are the steps:

1. Contact Mary Jaco (mjaco at broadvox.com) and requst SIP over TCP trunk. We selected GoLocal but you might preffer another trunk type. See http://broadvox.com/Products.aspx for details.
    2. Once the trunk is setup, you receive "Welcome Letter" with information with SIP and Media IP's which you will use further.
    3. Adjust your firewall to allow trafic to / from the IP's above. You can either allow all trafic or only the specific ports (reffer to the 'Welkome letter").
    4. Configure your Mediation server according the documentation. Nothing sprecial - same steps as you configure AudioCodes MPxxx.

If you have problems at any step, feel free to email me for assistance.

Drago
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Did you require any equipment other than your Internet Router and your OCS Mediation Server?  In other words, did Broadvox provide you with any equipment?

Awesome solution!!
    -jim
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:06 AM
  • No equipment. That's the beauty of it. You open tcp/5060 (to alow inbound traffic from the IP they will supply) to the public IP of your mediation server and it is all set.

Drago
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Have you tried this with R2 yet without a mediation server?  I have been having trouble even finding who the official SIP partners are from microsoft, other than a reference that there are 2.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 7:39 PM
  • I did.

It works just fine with one "small" detail (because of witch I am currently using Mediation R1 in R2 environment) - die to the changes related to "Early Media" handling within R2, the caller does not hear ring back tone. With this exception, all other features are just fine.

Broadvox is in deployment stage of new platform. I have participated in early tests and everything worked in pure R2 envirinment. Thus far, I do not have information as of when this platform will be in production deployment. Soon, I hope...

Drago
    Monday, June 1, 2009 10:27 PM
  • Thomas - you can always find certified devices/ITSPs at this URL:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ocs/bb735838.aspx
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:41 PM