I unwittingly purchased a counterfeit copy of Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Whether or not it's counterfeit isn't the question, because it is countefeit. What I want to know is when I purchase an academic copy of Windows 7 Professional, can I just input the new key? Or do I have to reformat with the new copy?
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:10 PM

Answers

• If what you have now is Professional then you can just change the product key with the Change Product Key link at the bottom of the System Properties page.  Press WinKey+Pause/Break to bring up the page. 

Whether you want to do it that way is another question.  The danger is malware.  Search on "free online scanners" and use a variety of scanners to ensure that you did not also get malware. 

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:14 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:23 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• If what you have now is Professional then you can just change the product key with the Change Product Key link at the bottom of the System Properties page.  Press WinKey+Pause/Break to bring up the page. 

Whether you want to do it that way is another question.  The danger is malware.  Search on "free online scanners" and use a variety of scanners to ensure that you did not also get malware. 

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:14 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:23 PM
    Answerer
  • And once I input the new product key, windows will be considered "Genuine" again and I can start installing updates?

(And my computer has McAfee, Malware Bytes, and Spybot Search And Destroy)

Friday, December 23, 2011 9:37 PM
  • The activation wizard will appear.  After activation you will be fine.  You may be asked to validate for any genuine Microsoft advantage downloads but that will be fine as well. 

If you want to purchase a copy from the Microsoft Store you can download the product key immediately.  However, make sure you also download the x86 and x64 .iso files and burn to dvd.  You are entitled and should have Windows media on hand for possible later use.  You obviously already know to avoid buying on eBay, the Amazon Marketplace, and discount websites.  It is not possible to buy just a product key legitimately.  There are pirate sites purporting to sell those but they are fraudulently obtained MSDN product keys which are just as counterfeit as what you already have.

I got stuck with one of those counterfeits off eBay in February.  Fortunately I had installed from a genuine dvd from a copy I already owned and only used the pirated product key so I wasn't worried about malware and just entered the new product key from the new copy of Windows I bought from the Microsoft Store to correct the problem.  It worked just fine.  Very seamless.

Friday, December 23, 2011 11:13 PM
    Answerer