Reporting(Project Publish) Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

When i am trying to save and publish a project with the help of project professional i am getting the in manage queue saying

Job type:Reporting(project publish)

Job status:Filed and not blocking correlation

And in the error message it shows the below code

Error summary/areas:
    Reporting message processor failed
    ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed
    Queue
    GeneralQueueJobFailed
    Error details:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <errinfo>
      <general>
        <class name="Reporting message processor failed">
          <error id="24006" name="ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed" uid="557098bc-bce6-4bdb-9400-55c6bde3194f" QueueMessageBody="Project UID='2974bce5-c6af-4d20-b581-d7280b2dcc46'. PublishType='ProjectPublish'" Error="Specified cast is not valid." />
          <error id="24006" name="ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed" uid="239778d0-6063-4ba4-86b7-0c526de03879" QueueMessageBody="Project UID='2974bce5-c6af-4d20-b581-d7280b2dcc46'. PublishType='ProjectPublish'" Error="Specified cast is not valid." />
          <error id="24006" name="ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed" uid="ad82a0f1-59ee-4054-9896-edddcb8141af" QueueMessageBody="Project UID='2974bce5-c6af-4d20-b581-d7280b2dcc46'. PublishType='ProjectPublish'" Error="Specified cast is not valid." />
          <error id="24006" name="ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed" uid="02e0c5f6-b236-4b33-a194-4eb9424bbe41" QueueMessageBody="Project UID='2974bce5-c6af-4d20-b581-d7280b2dcc46'. PublishType='ProjectPublish'" Error="Specified cast is not valid." />
          <error id="24006" name="ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed" uid="c146bdd9-fcce-4db5-abbb-1cdffe1c4bb2" QueueMessageBody="Project UID='2974bce5-c6af-4d20-b581-d7280b2dcc46'. PublishType='ProjectPublish'" Error="Specified cast is not valid." />
          <error id="24006" name="ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed" uid="7599e66a-490b-411e-bc9f-01e462df8ecf" QueueMessageBody="Project UID='2974bce5-c6af-4d20-b581-d7280b2dcc46'. PublishType='ProjectPublish'" Error="Specified cast is not valid." />
        </class>
        <class name="Queue">
          <error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="587492b8-de77-44c6-9bf2-fa2117b33fa0" JobUID="a23e1f34-59e5-47ed-8a93-15ac0d53671b" ComputerName="MISRS" GroupType="ReportingProjectPublish" MessageType="ReportProjectPublishMessageEx" MessageId="1" Stage="" />
        </class>
      </general>
    </errinfo>

Plz reply me the solution for this

Friday, October 7, 2011 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi There,

Error "ReportingProjectChangeMessageFailed = 24006" referes to "RDS change message failed for a project" , there can be several reasons associated with this . After publish, the job is trying to sync the Reporting database which is throwing the error.
    1. try to close the MS Project & open it again. Delete the Project cache & reopne the project & publish it. If you see the same message. go to second option.
    2. Is it throwing the error for all projects or only for the specific project?if this is related to specific project, It could be becuase of project corruption. If you don't have actuals/timehseet data for this project. You can try to save the project as an XML file on the local drive. Then re-open the file and overwrite the existing project schedule, save the project on project server & publish it.

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Friday, October 7, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Hi Sir

This problem is shown for all the projects present in project center .Even after cleanup of  local cache when i open a project in professional to save and publish i still end up with same problem .There is enough memory and the ProjectServer_Reporting database is autogrowth .I have installed sp2 for project server 2007 also but still landed up with the same error.If any latest hotfix available plz provide me the list of which are the ones to be installed and also the link to download it plzz

I am new to project server 2007 plz tell me how to solve this problem

Saturday, October 8, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

If Project Server is throwing this error for all projects when you publish, then it sounds like there may be an issue in your ProjectServer_Reporting database. From the error message, it seems Project Server is trying to convert data in your Project into a format that the Reporting database isn't expecting (the cast statement).

If it is just one project, then as Amit mentions, it may be corrupted. Is there anything obvious when you view it in Project Professional?

You mentioned you have upgraded to SP2, are you 100% sure that the project databases have upgraded successfully? Can you confirm you ran the config wizard after installing?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Hai

After installing SP2 for project server  i ran the config wizard successfully....

In my project professional local cache memory if the project exists then if i try to edit any one of the  existing project by opening it through PWA site  in professional it says it should be removed in read mode only .even though  the project was saved and published successfully before .

I feel this is happening because of the  error reported in manage queue before

Job type:Reporting(project publish)

Job status:Filed and not blocking correlation

In application log it says:

10/10/2011 14:23:21.20         

Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x0990)      

0x168C            Project Server                        

Project Server Reporting       

Medium          

PWA:http://misrs/projectserver, SSP:SharedServices1,

User:ADA\ramki,

PSI:   [RDS] Start processing RDS job ccaae50f-e478-45e1-8375-05565c5ca7e5.

Message type ReportRefreshMessage.

error mode: ContinueOnErrors,

lock RDB on errors: False,

refresh sleep time: 00:02:00.  8be0721d-bd6f-49d6-a7ca-e6ba6395cf1f

10/10/2011 14:27:42.95          Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x0990)       0x1870            Project Server                            Project Server Reporting        0          Medium           PWA:http://misrs/projectserver, SSP:SharedServices1, User:ADA\ramki, PSI:   [RDS] Start processing RDS job ccaae50f-e478-45e1-8375-05565c5ca7e5. Message type ReportRefreshMessage. Message: RDB area: Epm, error mode: ContinueOnErrors, lock RDB on errors: False, refresh sleep time: 00:02:00.  8be0721d-bd6f-49d6-a7ca-e6ba6395cf1f

what are the steps to be followed to solve this error report

• Edited by ABzzzz Monday, October 10, 2011 11:49 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:49 AM
  • Hy help me out for the above problem only report(project publish) job in managed queue is coming as Waitnig to be processed
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Did you try rebuilding the Reporting Database?

http://msfarmer.blogspot.com/2008/12/rebuild-project-server-reporting.html

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Hi there,

As you mentioned that for all projects the reporting sync job is failing. Last option which I can think to rebuild the reporting database which can take few or more hours to complete based on the database size. If you are having a development/Testing  server which has the latest data of production. Please try on Dev servers first. 

http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/forcerebuildofprojectserverreportingdatabase.aspx

force a rebuild of the Project Server 2007 Reporting Database, follow these steps:

1. Logon to Project Web Access with Administrator credentials
    2. Select Administrative Backup from the Database Administration secton on the Server Settings Page in Project Web Access
    3. In the Items for Backup section of the Backup page, select the checkbox for Enterprise Custom Fields and then click theBackup button and click the OK button when prompted by the system
    4. Select Administrative Restore from the Database Administration secton on the Server Settings Page in Project Web Access
    5. Choose Enterprise Custom Fields from the Choose Item selector on the Restore page
    6. Click the Restore button and then click the OK button when prompted by the system

Allow time for the reporting rebuild job to run. You can track the state of this job on the Manage Queue page. 

You can check the Queue to make sure the job completed successfully.
    1. From the Server Settings screen, under theQueue heading, select Manage Queue
    2. Click the ‘+’ next to Job Completion States to expand the section
    3. From the Available Job States, select Successand then Add>
    4. From the Job Grid select Refresh Status
    5. You should see the following Job Types named:

• Restore Custom Fields
    • Reporting Database Refresh
    • Reporting (Fiscal Periods Sync)
    • Reporting (Resources Capacity Range Sync
    When all of the job types have completed 100% Successful, then your Project Server Reporting Database has been rebuilt. At this point, all of your data between Project Server Published and Reporting should match. 
    Now you can try to save/publish the  projects.
    Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hi Sir

I am not having any custom fields in my PWA site

I  have already tried to do  RDB rebuild (i.e from the Administrator Backup and Administrator Restore for Custom fields) but when i do this job in manage Queue i end up seeing

1]

Job Type     : Archive Custom Field

Job Status  : Success

%               :100%

When Administrator Backup taken

2]

a)

Job Type     : Restore Custom Fields

b)

Job Type     : Reporting Database Refresh

Job Status  : Waiting to be processed

%               :  0%

And hence im not able to rebuild the RDB also

So how is to go about this problem

Thank u in advance

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi Sir

I am not having any custom fields in my PWA site

I  have already tried to do  RDB rebuild (i.e from the Administrator Backup and Administrator Restore for Custom fields) but when i do this job in manage Queue i end up seeing

1]

Job Type     : Archive Custom Field

When Administrator Backup taken

2]

a)

Job Type     : Restore Custom Fields

b)

Job Type     : Reporting Database Refresh

Job Status  : Waiting to be processed

And hence im not able to rebuild the RDB also

So how is to go about this problem

Thank u in advance

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:02 AM
  • if you dont have the custom field in the environment, please create the dumy custom field and try to execute the stpes suggested by Amit,

Hope it will help you to resolve the issue.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Hai

I installed Microsoft Project SP2 [KB953326] on the client system restarted the client system.

And on the server i restarted the Project Queue service

Now when i tried to save and publish a project it says

Job Type     : Report (project publish)

Job Status  : Skipped for optimization

As i understand   if the same job [here publish job] is there in the queue ,And if one of the job is successful then against  rest of the same jobs Skipped for optimization is shown

I had tried to publish the projects before installing SP2 which was coming Waiting to be processed

So i think one of those jobs was successful hence the above said Job status [Skipped for optimization]  is coming for the same job

Just tell me im i understanding it correctly and also let me no  will this status appear always in future

Is there any solution to convert  this Job status [Skipped for optimization] to Success

But later when i so the RDB is not getting updated for the latest changes done to the PWA 

I got to no when i tried to build a cube which did not have the latest changes done to pwa site

Plz help me out

Thanks in advance

• Edited by ABzzzz Friday, October 14, 2011 10:56 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Hello,

For foreign key constraint problems such as the queue error above, we do not always need something as the Reporting Database refresh.

In this case, we can utilize the “ Save for Sharing ” option, not designed for this purpose but useful nonetheless.

Here are the steps for that:
    1) Open the plan in question in MS Project Professional
    2) Select File > Save & Send > Save Project as File > Save for Sharing  (see attachment)
    3) Save the plan locally somewhere (doesn’t matter where)
    4) Next Click File > Save As
    5) The plan name will be grey and non-editable, therefore just select “ Save ”
    6) After the save is finished, publish the plan
    7) Monitor the queue to ensure that all jobs, especially the Reporting (Project Publish) job executes successfully.
    Essentially this job saves over the original plan, but keeps the same UID so it mimics saving the plan for the first time thus eroding any corruption before it hits the RDB.

If this doent help, please remove special chartacters if there are any.

Please refer to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/projectserver2010general/thread/651d6499-1990-4d71-817e-07bbde720003

BR, Irshad.

...irshad

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:06 PM