Chkdsk infinite loops fill up drive; can’t find problem...please tell me it's a known bug RRS feed

• Question

• My HP Mediasmart WHS runs into an infinite loop processing indexes during its daily chkdsk, and ultimately fills up my SYS drive with a 15GB “chkdsk_C__fs.log” file.  If I look at the end of the file, the index processing is well over 600%...so it seems like some kind of chkdsk bug?? 

I backed most of my files to external USB drives over the weekend, and ran into one invalid handle error.   I also noticed that WHS noticed the file issue as well, and had turned my status to “Network At Risk” and provided a little blurb in the listing with the issue. 

I ultimately deleted that entire directory, and ran my own “chkdsk.exe /f /r c:\fs\E” and it completes without errors after a [long] while.  For safety measure, I even ran “chkdsk.exe /f /r d:” …with no problems.  I rebooted and checked the Server Status, and that file issue was gone.

So I assumed everything was fixed.  When I woke up this morning, though, the server was once again cratered.  Same issue.  L

Now I am confused.  When *I* check there don’t seem to be any problems, and since I used the /r flag, I would have assumed things would have been fixed even if they were encountered.  But WHS seems to run into some problem and chkdsk's reporting seems to be all weird (the >100% infinite statuses).

Is this a BUG?  

I don’t want to have to rebuild my server, as it contains a ton of data.  I have 2 x 500GB drives, so it's a 50/50 chance that if it is a HD problem, it will be on the system drive.   (Which does beg the secondary question, how would I rebuild it since there is no DVD drive and no monitor attached?)

Thanks,

Arthur

Monday, April 20, 2009 4:06 PM

Answers

• You could contact HP for support; you could also submit a bug report on Connect. Before you do either, though, is your server up to date with patches? Please open the console, then Settings, then Resources, and let us know what the version numbers are for the Windows Home Server components.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• You could contact HP for support; you could also submit a bug report on Connect. Before you do either, though, is your server up to date with patches? Please open the console, then Settings, then Resources, and let us know what the version numbers are for the Windows Home Server components.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 4:53 PM
  • My server is up-to-date with everything but the .NET Framework, as I forced an Update last night, and that was all that came back.  I postponed, as I didn't want to wait for that to complete before leaving today...and shutting down the server.  Since it is physically now powered off, I can't access to see, but will double-check and share the version numbers later tonight.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2

HP MediaSmart Server
    AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+
    479.45 MB of RAM

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Your server appears to be fully up to date. Your issue is fairly unique to your system; I have an HP MediaSmart which ien'st displaying the problem you describe. Could you submit a bug for this on Connect, please? (Link above.) Include a server CAB #, collected using the console component of the Windows Home Server Toolkit.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I have posted the bug on Connect (same subject title). 

Can you provide me a link to the Windows Home Server Toolkit?  I've seen it referenced a couple of times, but never with a download link or anything, adn I want to make sure I am getting and using the right utility.

Thanks
    A
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:51 PM
  • You'll find a link to download the toolkit, along with documentation for the toolkit (read it; the installation on your server is a multi-step process) on the Windows Home Server Help page. You'll also find a lot of other useful information there.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:44 PM