Secure Delete Files RRS feed

• Question

• What would be the effect of using a file shredding application on files stored on a WHS share. My guess is that it would only "shred" the 4 kb tombstone; not the actual file. Anyone know? Could it do any damage? The particular program I would be using is the one from fileshredder.org.

Thanks for the help.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:04 PM

Answers

• The best way to find out is try, however you may get unexpected results and even mess up your server. If the utility also shreds files in network shares it might work (if you can enter the file name as \\yourservername\shares\someshare\filename).

Instead of using file shredder I would delete the files, then run a utility or script to wipe free space on all disks.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by PullnPray Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:37 PM

All replies

• The best way to find out is try, however you may get unexpected results and even mess up your server. If the utility also shreds files in network shares it might work (if you can enter the file name as \\yourservername\shares\someshare\filename).

Instead of using file shredder I would delete the files, then run a utility or script to wipe free space on all disks.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by PullnPray Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Thanks brubber
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:33 PM