none
Do we need both Announcements and Sticky threads?

Question

• It seems to me that Announcements and Sticky threads fulfill much the same purpose. I would prefer getting rid of Sticky (which anyway struck me as weird when I first encountered it) and just use Announcements.

Could there also be some way of collapsing the whole Announcements list (when present) to avoid wasting vertical real estate?

Ideally, for me, the main forum page should contain nothing that does not relate directly to posting, replying and marking/voting (if we need to have that).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:16 PM

All replies

• They are different animals. Anouncements are a single post, with no replies that are given premium real estate. A sticky, generally, is a thread that either a) becomes important for some reason or b) you want multiple people to contribute to.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Hi Matt:

Well, I would say that they are used rather inconsistently, then. I do see that now there are no Sticky threads in Bug Reporting or Suggestions and Feedback, but I'm sure there were until yesterday. If you look at Visual C++ General, however, it is all Sticky's and no Announcements.

But my real goal is to avoid wasted vertical real estate. I was hoping that if we moved Sticky's to Announcements, then we could make Announcements collapsible.

Friday, July 11, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Matt:

Case in point. There is a Sticky about Forums 3.4 just appeared in this Suggestions Forum. Surely, this is an Announcement?

Friday, July 11, 2008 7:47 PM
  • quite right; the editorial voice has yet to settle on a consistant uasage here. there is a difference between the two but it is blurred by inconsistent usage
    Videmus nunc per speculum in enigmate
    Friday, July 11, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Hi Dave, some of what you're seeing is left-overs from the migration from the old platform.  On the old forums announcements were basically just another message type, permanently sticky essentially.  On the new platform they're a whole separate entity, and the mapping from the old forums to the new didn't really lend itself to making all the old announcements continue to be announcements on the new site.  We still have some cleanup work to do, but I think you'll find we transition more to announcements for most work, with stickies being used sparingly in special circumstances.

-Jeremy Kelley
    Jeremy Kelley
    Monday, July 14, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Thanks, Jeremy.

Maybe this "problem" will largely go away. But I would still say: if the feature (Sticky) is rarely used, why not get rid of it?

Apart from anything else, I found it very strange the first time I saw it (what ever possessed this person to put the word "Sticky" in the subject of his/her post?). Announcements, well I know what announcements are.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:24 PM