New External Drive - do I need to format FIRST? Or just plug it into the WHS and let it handle the format? RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently purchased 2 1TB Drives and external enclosures  and am wondering if I need to hookup them up to a client PC to do the "initial" format...or can I just hook them up to the WHS box and let it handle theinitial format? 

I understand that WHS will reformat the drives once I do hook them up (correct?).

The external drives have USB and eSATA connections and I plan to use the eSATA connection for WHS, however the enclosure manufacturer recommends hooking the drives up via USB for the initial format...so If I am able to do the initial format on the WHS box - do I use USB for that also - then swithc to eSATA or is WHS going to want to reformat them AGAIN when hooked up as eSATA after using USB??

Or will WHS see the NEW drives if I hook them up via eSATA first - and format them? (again referring to hopefully being able to do the initial format via WHS and eSATA)

I'm sure there's likely no harm in formatting them first on a client PC and then letting WHS do  reformat - just added time that may be unnecessary?

If there are any "guides" on this out there...please point me in the direction.

Much thanks
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:35 PM

Answers

• Puulima said:

I've recently purchased 2 1TB Drives and external enclosures  and am wondering if I need to hookup them up to a client PC to do the "initial" format...or can I just hook them up to the WHS box and let it handle theinitial format? 

I understand that WHS will reformat the drives once I do hook them up (correct?).

The external drives have USB and eSATA connections and I plan to use the eSATA connection for WHS, however the enclosure manufacturer recommends hooking the drives up via USB for the initial format...so If I am able to do the initial format on the WHS box - do I use USB for that also - then swithc to eSATA or is WHS going to want to reformat them AGAIN when hooked up as eSATA after using USB??

Or will WHS see the NEW drives if I hook them up via eSATA first - and format them? (again referring to hopefully being able to do the initial format via WHS and eSATA)

I'm sure there's likely no harm in formatting them first on a client PC and then letting WHS do  reformat - just added time that may be unnecessary?

Much thanks

Just connect them to the server (through eSATA) and add them to the storage pool.  WHS will handle the rest. :)
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Puulima said:

Thanks Colin,

I was pretty sure WHS couldn't access the NAS "directly"...I'll look into RoboCopy then as an option.

BTW: I was amazed at how quickly WHS setup the new drives.  I thought there would be some long formatting process...but the "wizard" didn't take long at all and presented the 2 new drives as added in & healthy within minutes.

Because WHS does a quick format.

Puulima said:

Related question:  how does WHS handle a "Backup" drive?  ie: does it need to format it?  ie: can I hookup my WD Mybook with it loaded with data - step through the "Wizard" and be able to start copying data FROM the MyBook to the Shared Folders?

The only supported way is to connect your MyBook to a client PC and copy the data to the shares through the network.  (Also, although unsupported, you could connect your MyBook directly to your server but do not add it to the storage pool, logon to the server desktop and copy the data from the MyBook to the shares using the Shared Folders on Server desktop icon.)

Puulima said:

All of data is currently on the MyBook and NAS so I now need to get it onto the WHS.  I'll connect via the network for the NAS but figured it's faster to use the Firewire connection on the WHS for the MyBook.  I can try the wizard later to see if it gives me a warning about formatting...but thought I'd ask since we're on the topic.

Thanks again!

• Marked as answer by Puulima Monday, March 2, 2009 2:19 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:23 AM

All replies

• Puulima said:

I've recently purchased 2 1TB Drives and external enclosures  and am wondering if I need to hookup them up to a client PC to do the "initial" format...or can I just hook them up to the WHS box and let it handle theinitial format? 

Much thanks

Just connect them to the server (through eSATA) and add them to the storage pool.  WHS will handle the rest. :)
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Well that certainly makes it easy.  Should I add one drive at a time...or connect both? 

Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Hi,
    Depends what you want them for!
    You are best doing it one at a time really; the system will ask you what you want to use the drive for - as part of the server storage pool, or as a backup drive. The backup drive option enables you to utilise a drive for backing up your Shared Folders, usually an external drive which you could then move off-site say.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Thanks, I'll do them one at a time then.

I do have a 1 TB WD Mybook and a 1 TB Hammer MyShare NAS - both can be confgured as RAID 0 or 1.  I was thinking of using each in the full capacity mode as "redundant" backups.  I believe I can hookup the MyBook direct to the WHS via USB or Firewire as a "Backup" drive (and could keep that one offsite then).

For the NAS - it's an ethernet connection only.  I'd like to use it for a backup drive also but doesn't sounds like I can do it "directly" - any ideas on how to backup the Shared Folders to it from WHS via the network?  I'm thinking just running a "manual" backup from a client PC and specifying the various shared folders on the server as the source and the NAS as the target?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Hi,
    WHS itself cannot make use of a NAS-type device.
    However, I have one which has been in daily use to backup my production server; I use SecondCopy (a paid-for option), to copy new files to a NAS at the other end of the Country. It's possible to use RoboCopy to achieve the same thing, so that would be an option for you as well.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Thanks Colin,

I was pretty sure WHS couldn't access the NAS "directly"...I'll look into RoboCopy then as an option.

BTW: I was amazed at how quickly WHS setup the new drives.  I thought there would be some long formatting process...but the "wizard" didn't take long at all and presented the 2 new drives as added in & healthy within minutes.

Related question:  how does WHS handle a "Backup" drive?  ie: does it need to format it?  ie: can I hookup my WD Mybook with it loaded with data - step through the "Wizard" and be able to start copying data FROM the MyBook to the Shared Folders?  All of data is currently on the MyBook and NAS so I now need to get it onto the WHS.  I'll connect via the network for the NAS but figured it's faster to use the Firewire connection on the WHS for the MyBook.  I can try the wizard later to see if it gives me a warning about formatting...but thought I'd ask since we're on the topic.

Thanks again!
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:52 AM
  • Puulima said:

Thanks Colin,

Because WHS does a quick format.

Puulima said:

Related question:  how does WHS handle a "Backup" drive?  ie: does it need to format it?  ie: can I hookup my WD Mybook with it loaded with data - step through the "Wizard" and be able to start copying data FROM the MyBook to the Shared Folders?

The only supported way is to connect your MyBook to a client PC and copy the data to the shares through the network.  (Also, although unsupported, you could connect your MyBook directly to your server but do not add it to the storage pool, logon to the server desktop and copy the data from the MyBook to the shares using the Shared Folders on Server desktop icon.)

Puulima said:

All of data is currently on the MyBook and NAS so I now need to get it onto the WHS.  I'll connect via the network for the NAS but figured it's faster to use the Firewire connection on the WHS for the MyBook.  I can try the wizard later to see if it gives me a warning about formatting...but thought I'd ask since we're on the topic.

Thanks again!

• Marked as answer by Puulima Monday, March 2, 2009 2:19 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:23 AM
  • So I'm guessing WHS will FORMAT the the drive when added as a backup drive then (through the wizard)? 

Thanks for your assistance.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:09 PM