Windows 7 Updates Failing - MGA Reports No Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Last week, my windows updates started failing. Many posts have suggested downloading the updates manually and trying to install them that way. OK, I thought - we'll have some of that. BUT, each time I try, MS forces me to download an out of date piece of software (the old "genuine advantage" validation tool), in order to get a validation code, but the software it pushes me towards says it's no longer supported! I found the latest one, and ran that, the code was "0" (after all that), but entering that code takes me to a bog-standard advertising page for genuine windows. I'M ALREADY RUNNING A GENUINE (AKA PAID FOR) INSTALL OF WINDOWS!

The Genuine Advantage Diagnostic tool (1.9.0027.0) returns no errors.

Help - am I the only one on the planet who has had his updates FUBARed?

No one else in the office seems to have the same issue...

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:55 AM

Answers

• Use Internet Explorer for access to downloads at the Download Center - neither FireFox nor Chrome can deal properly with the ActiveX controls required for validation.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

• Marked as answer by IFlingPoo Monday, August 20, 2012 12:33 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi Noel:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't use IE at all - except for this! The version I have is 9.0.8112.16421, Update Version 9.0.8 KB 2719177. I have no idea whether that's 32 or 64 bit (not sure how I could tell!)

In any event, after I sent you the above message, I found another web site which suggested I do something. To tell you the truth, I can't remember WHAT it was, but I did it, and presto - that pesky update appears to have actually installed.

So I guess I just say 'Thank You' and hope it is solved!

Cheers,

Jim Kenzie

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:12 AM

All replies

• Use Internet Explorer for access to downloads at the Download Center - neither FireFox nor Chrome can deal properly with the ActiveX controls required for validation.

• Marked as answer by IFlingPoo Monday, August 20, 2012 12:33 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for that - good to know.

*leaves for mac store*

Monday, August 20, 2012 12:33 PM
  • ...and get locked into a system with a total monopoly?

Monday, August 20, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hello Noel:

I see a couple of threads from you trying resolve this Windows Update failure issue (KB2647753 seems to be the offender). I follow your instructions to the letter, even using the dreaded IE (!). But no joy - it still takes me to the Genuine Windows Validation page, I still Run the Validation Tool, it still downloads it, I still click 'Run", and it still returns the "out of date" error!

When I went to the update and diagnostic pages you suggested (perhaps in another thread) it confirmed that I was 'valid' - but it did not continue from there to the installation of the update.

So I am no further ahead than when I was using Firefox!

Believe me, I hate Apple as much as you,. My iPhone 4 is an absolute joke. I'm thinking of starting a new web site:

www.there_isnt_enough_Kool_Aid_in_the_world.com...

But I digress. Anything else I should check? This has been going on now for about a month, it seems.

Cheers,

Jim Kenzie

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:48 PM
  • You may be using the wrong version of IE - you need to use the 32-bit version rather than the 64-bit one.

"C:\Program FIles (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Friday, September 7, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Hi Noel:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't use IE at all - except for this! The version I have is 9.0.8112.16421, Update Version 9.0.8 KB 2719177. I have no idea whether that's 32 or 64 bit (not sure how I could tell!)

In any event, after I sent you the above message, I found another web site which suggested I do something. To tell you the truth, I can't remember WHAT it was, but I did it, and presto - that pesky update appears to have actually installed.

So I guess I just say 'Thank You' and hope it is solved!

Cheers,

Jim Kenzie

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:12 AM