Having problems loading Windows Home Server or WHS not recognizing hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to build a "Green" Windows Home Server" system.  I'm well versed in Windows 98 thru XP but new to Vista or WHS.

The Specs:
    Purchased the following fro NewEgg:

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 KVR800D2N5/2G
    GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
    AMD Athlon X2 4850e
    Microsoft Windows Home Server 32 Bit 1 Pack (Power pack 1) - OEM
    (2) Western Digital WD5000AACS hard drives
    Rosewill RG430-2 430W 80Plus PWS
    LG DVD drive Sata

I don't want to raid I just wanted to run the one drive and then use WHS built in duplicate feature.

When installing WHS I receive the following error "Hard drive capable of hosting windows home server not found" and asks me to load the drivers.  I loaded the drivers off of the cd: WHQL_SB7xx_RAIDSTOR_Vista_3.1.1540.50\x86\ahcix86s.inf and put them on a them drive.  When I installed them I received the next error "The provided driver cannot be used to complete setup: txtsetup.oem was not found".

What I have tried over the last 20 hours:
    • Putting the hard drives on my other system to see if I could read them.  Formatted one of them they seem fine.
    • I removed the one drive and tried to install on it.
    • Moved the sata connecters around the motherboard
    • Tried loading Vista and I get to the product key entry so it seems to be working with that.  I didn't want to go farther though. Scratch that, went further and it asked me to load drivers as well.
    • a gazillion reboots uughh!!

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Jason
    • Edited by jdaubs Monday, March 23, 2009 12:46 AM
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 10:24 PM

Answers

• jdaubs said:

Trying to build a "Green" Windows Home Server" system.  I'm well versed in Windows 98 thru XP but new to Vista or WHS.

The Specs:

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
    AMD Athlon X2 4850e
    LG DVD drive Sata

I don't want to raid I just wanted to run the one drive and then use WHS built in duplicate feature.

When installing WHS I receive the following error "Hard drive capable of hosting windows home server not found" and asks me to load the drivers.  I loaded the drivers off of the cd: Chipset\RD790\XP2K\SBDrv\RAID\x86\ahcix86.inf and put them on a them drive.  When I installed them I received the next error "The provided driver cannot be used to complete setup: txtsetup.oem was not found".

• Putting the hard drives on my other system to see if I could read them.  Formatted one of them they seem fine.
    • Tried loading Vista and I get to the product key entry so it seems to be working with that.  I didn't want to go farther though. Scratch that, went further and it asked me to load drivers as well.

You need to either:

A) provide the drivers twice (once during the GUI, when you see Load Additional Storage Drivers screen (this is the one you are doing) and the second time during the text setup (after the first reboot) when you will have to press F6 to install the drivers, and that almost always requires a floppy drive) or
    B) go into the BIOS and set your on-board SATA controller to IDE/Legacy mode (or something similar)
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:43 PM

All replies

• jdaubs said:

Trying to build a "Green" Windows Home Server" system.  I'm well versed in Windows 98 thru XP but new to Vista or WHS.

The Specs:

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
    AMD Athlon X2 4850e
    LG DVD drive Sata

When installing WHS I receive the following error "Hard drive capable of hosting windows home server not found" and asks me to load the drivers.  I loaded the drivers off of the cd: Chipset\RD790\XP2K\SBDrv\RAID\x86\ahcix86.inf and put them on a them drive.  When I installed them I received the next error "The provided driver cannot be used to complete setup: txtsetup.oem was not found".

You need to either:

A) provide the drivers twice (once during the GUI, when you see Load Additional Storage Drivers screen (this is the one you are doing) and the second time during the text setup (after the first reboot) when you will have to press F6 to install the drivers, and that almost always requires a floppy drive) or
    B) go into the BIOS and set your on-board SATA controller to IDE/Legacy mode (or something similar)
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Thanks for replying...

A) When I try this I receive that txtsetup.oem error

B) In the BIOS the on-chip SATA controller is set to Enabled
        The on-chip SATA type is set to Native IDE with RAID and AHCI as the other two options
    • Edited by jdaubs Monday, March 23, 2009 12:18 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:04 AM
  • jdaubs said:

Thanks for replying...

In the BIOS the on-chip SATA controller is set to Enabled
    The on-chip SATA type is set to Native IDE with RAID and AHCI as the other two options

That's strange.  Since it's on Native IDE, you shouldn't have to supply drivers at all.  When you supply the drivers from the CD, does it then see the drive and continue on (until a reboot of the computer, followed by the text portion of the setup)?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:16 AM
  • No, after I apply the driver I get an error that says:  "The provided driver cannot be used to complete setup: txtsetup.oem was not found".
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:19 AM
  • jdaubs said:

No, after I apply the driver I get an error that says:  "The provided driver cannot be used to complete setup: txtsetup.oem was not found".

Have you tried adding the driver from a flash drive instead of the CD?  After adding the driver, does it at least recognize your 500 GB drive at that point?  If not, it's probably not the correct driver.  (Also, judging by the path supplied, it's not a Server 2003 driver which could also be your problem.)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I tried installing from both the CD and my usb thumb drive.  It still isn't recognized. 
    The only option I'm seeing if for Vista or XP not Server 2003.  I made a mistake up above the path is actually: WHQL_SB7xx_RAIDSTOR_Vista_3.1.1540.50\x86\ahcix86s.inf
    Maybe I'll have to ask Gigabyte if this driver works with WHS
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:41 AM
  • jdaubs said:

I tried installing from both the CD and my usb thumb drive.  It still isn't recognized. 
    The only option I'm seeing if for Vista or XP not Server 2003.  I made a mistake up above the path is actually: WHQL_SB7xx_RAIDSTOR_Vista_3.1.1540.50\x86\ahcix86s.inf

There's no chance that one will work.  That's a Vista driver. :)

jdaubs said:

Maybe I'll have to ask Gigabyte if this driver works with WHS

You might get lucky with an XP driver (since Server 2003, the underlying OS, is basically XP Server).  Otherwise, I would suggest you check their website for the latest drivers (specifically 2003 drivers).
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Ah I didn't know that it was more like XP than Vista...thanks.  I will get in contact with Gigabyte and keep this thread going.  From what I'm seeing, this isn't an uncommon problem I just can't seem to nail down an exact solution.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Hello,

I am getting the same error with a 3ware 9650SE card.  On my driver list I only have 32-bit and 64-bit.  For WHS I am sure I am to use the 32-bit drivers, but I do not know how to fix this.  jdaubs what did you do?

-Roger
    - Roger
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:08 PM
  • The drivers must be for Windows Server 2003 32 Bit or for Windows XP 32 Bit (which work only sometimes). If the controller can be set to IDE (ATA/PATA) compatibility mode, it should work without any drivers (since basic IDE drivers are built in to the server installation sources).

As for the OP, the port to which a disk is attached on the mainboard, plays also a role - not all ports are supporting single hard disks. Also double checking, if the SATA and the power plugs are connected properly with drive and controller, is no fault. The cheaper of them are sitting worse on the connection than the old IDE plugs, a careless move through the inner of the computer, and the connection may not be good any more. (I even managed, to break the plastic noose on the disks part of the connector by a little pulling on the cable mounting another drive).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:14 PM

• GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2

I'm using the same board in my WHS.  I did not have the issues you are having.  But... I'm using a 3Ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID card for the system drive.  Had to supply the drivers twice  (from a floppy) during install and everything has been working great the last two months.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:30 PM