Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. RRS feed

• Question

• I use Windows XP Home Edition with some kind of update. I want to open this file that I have on my computer. Whenever I try to open it, Windows Explorer fails on me and Shuts down. It is one folder that I have that does this. The system doesn't shut down or anything, and only that folder closes. Is there any way for me to make it so that I can access this folder's contents? I already tried using the Microsoft Help Center, and it proved to me that Microsoft didn't even read my email message. What they sent me was basically a mail merge email for mass production. I figure that this folder I am trying to open might have corrupt data, but I don't know what to do about it.
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:43 PM

Answers

• Alright, so you've got a corrupt file. This is common. I have the same problem except that I simply drag the report box to the bottom of the monitor and ignore it. Another option is to move the corrupt file deeper into the current folder by creating a folder of it's own. This is a convenient solution if you've set your system up to automatically close faulty operations. You can, then, right-click the folder and choose the option to search the contents of your corrupt files folder and choose the file from the search results for accessing in the appropriate program. A good way to find the problem file, if you don't already know which one it is, will be to move one file at a time out of the folder, starting with saves on and most recently created prior to the time/date you noticed the problem and attempt to access the problem folder. When it no longer closes, all corrupt files have been removed. Also I recommend attempting to access your move-to folder after each move to see if it closes on you. This will aid in locating the corrupt file immediately after the move. At this point, you should create a folder just for your corrupt file(s) and move all good files back to the original folder. I further recommend attempting to find a replacement for each of your corrupt files.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:34 PM
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:47 AM