Verifying version for re-install RRS feed

• Question

• This may not be the correct forum, so please guide me if not.

I am a systems builder who shipped a couple of hundred pcs over the years, most with XP Pro in some incarnation. My clients are industrial users who use the PCs for vision applications in robotics (industrial automation).

One of these clients have an (old) PC which had a corruption of the file system and they want to repair the installation using the original CDs. The problem is that the IT administrator of the plant has taken all install CDs (SP0 to SP3) and put them in a big pile.

My question is how to tell which version is installed on the problem PC. I do have a photo of the COA label and I can write the last 15 digits here: QJF7Y-46HT6-6FJ8D

There used to be a page at the MS OEM site where the COA labels were shown, but I can't find it anymore. I think the label looks relatively new in design so I would guess SP2.

Can you help me identify the SP level of this installation (or tell me which forum I have to ask the question in)?

Thanks a lot!

Claus Sternberg, Stage & Sternberg, Denmark

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:41 AM

Answers

I am a systems builder who shipped a couple of hundred pcs over the years, most with XP Pro in some incarnation. My clients are industrial users who use the PCs for vision applications in robotics (industrial automation).

One of these clients have an (old) PC which had a corruption of the file system and they want to repair the installation using the original CDs. The problem is that the IT administrator of the plant has taken all install CDs (SP0 to SP3) and put them in a big pile.

My question is how to tell which version is installed on the problem PC. I do have a photo of the COA label and I can write the last 15 digits here: QJF7Y-46HT6-6FJ8D

There used to be a page at the MS OEM site where the COA labels were shown, but I can't find it anymore. I think the label looks relatively new in design so I would guess SP2.

Can you help me identify the SP level of this installation (or tell me which forum I have to ask the question in)?

Thanks a lot!

As long as it is known which product key belongs to that particular computer (QJF7Y-46HT6-6FJ8D)  it should not matter which XP Pro System Builder install CD is used to reinstall the OS as long as the service pack is at least as high as what was originally installed.  So you should be able to use an XP SP 3 Pro install CD to reinstall any previous versions of XP Pro (SP0 to SP2). 
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:00 PM

All replies

Thanks a lot!

As long as it is known which product key belongs to that particular computer (QJF7Y-46HT6-6FJ8D)  it should not matter which XP Pro System Builder install CD is used to reinstall the OS as long as the service pack is at least as high as what was originally installed.  So you should be able to use an XP SP 3 Pro install CD to reinstall any previous versions of XP Pro (SP0 to SP2). 
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Thanks!

Claus

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:51 AM