ASUS/Realtek HiDef Audio Driver trashes WHS RRS feed

• Question

• FYI, anyone installing WHS onto an ASUS (or other) motherboard that is using the Realtek ALC 662 6-Channel Hi-Def Audio system, the Realtek-supplied Win2003 driver version 5.10.0.5506 dated 01/04/2008 will trash the system registry and damage the WHS logon forcing use of a TEMP user account.

I'm going to try the older Realtek driver 5.10.0.5477 to see if I get the same results... of course it means a full WHS reinstall first... 

DG

Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:53 AM

Answers

• I performed a manual install of the .5477 driver through the Device Manager instead of using the setup.exe and it appears to have worked properly.  ASUS/Realtek are apparently not doing something correct in their automated setup and trashing the operating system registry.  From the looks of it, their driver support for Win2003 is a bit messed up.

For those who are unfamiliar with how to do this:

- Extract the audio driver to a temporary folder such as C:\Temp.

- Click on the Start button, right-click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties from the popup menu.

- Click on the Hardware tab and then click on the Device Manager button.

- Locate the audio device as a yellow question mark "Other devices" in the hardware list, right-click on it and choose Update Driver.

- On the Hardware Wizard choose the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" option, then click on the Next button.

- Select the "Search for the best driver in these locations" option and check only the "Include this location in the search" option, browse to the location of the extracted audio driver's WDM folder that contains the .inf file, click on the Next button.

- It will take a few minutes, but the driver should install, you will see the audio device disappear from the "Other devices" and a bunch of new devices will appear under "Sound, video and game controllers".

Hope it helps... 

DG

Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:01 AM

All replies

• I performed a manual install of the .5477 driver through the Device Manager instead of using the setup.exe and it appears to have worked properly.  ASUS/Realtek are apparently not doing something correct in their automated setup and trashing the operating system registry.  From the looks of it, their driver support for Win2003 is a bit messed up.

For those who are unfamiliar with how to do this:

- Extract the audio driver to a temporary folder such as C:\Temp.

- Click on the Start button, right-click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties from the popup menu.

- Click on the Hardware tab and then click on the Device Manager button.

- Locate the audio device as a yellow question mark "Other devices" in the hardware list, right-click on it and choose Update Driver.

- On the Hardware Wizard choose the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" option, then click on the Next button.

- Select the "Search for the best driver in these locations" option and check only the "Include this location in the search" option, browse to the location of the extracted audio driver's WDM folder that contains the .inf file, click on the Next button.

- It will take a few minutes, but the driver should install, you will see the audio device disappear from the "Other devices" and a bunch of new devices will appear under "Sound, video and game controllers".

Hope it helps... 

DG

Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Nice to see that you worked it out.

However, as this is a headless server, I don't see any reason to even bother installing any sound drivers. It just adds more software and memory usage.

Colin

Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the comment. 

Unless the hardware function has been disabled in the BIOS I always install all base motherboard drivers on workstations and servers for a number of reasons.  This case with WHS is no different.  On a modern dual core 4GB RAM system, the audio driver uses minimal resources, typically only 2MB to 4MB of RAM.

Not everyone will be running their WHS as a completely headless system, including myself.  I am looking at WHS for a network file storage, POP3 pre-fetch (eventually full POP3/SMTP with webmail), and web server.  It will be set up with monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  As an IT professional I will be configuring and maintaining the system from a local logon.

Preconfigured WHS systems will commonly not include the extra hardware, but for systems that are personally constructed from standard available hardware, the motherboard driver set may as well be installed except for those functions you wish to disable in the BIOS.

Also, check out your Start menu...  WHS does include Windows Media Player, etc. 

This can be used locally for file preview and cleanup or sorting, etc.  Even though I am on a gigabit network, local file access is faster.

DG

Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:01 PM