Instaling on .vhd file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have on my NB installed win7 and I want to only for TESTING purpose instal WHS2011 (to get now it)...

So I wanted to install it like dualboot with win7, but thats not possible, because I must select the whole disk (and that would delete my win7).

So I thought that I would install it on .vhd fle (vdisk). In installation DVD of WHS I created and attached .vhd file /100GB/ but when I get to part of selecting disk, .vhd disk isnt there listed.

How could I resolve this issue? (one disk --- win7 & whs2011 dual booting)

Thanks for advices

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server will take over all hardware when it's installed, so you need to install Windows Home Server first, and the other OS second. In between you rearrange partitions so that there's room for the second OS. As an alternative, you could install it in a virtual machine, but to install as a vm you will need to meet the minimum requirements of Windows Home Server in your virtualization tool.

Also, consider that Windows Home Server is a server OS, not a desktop OS. It won't be able to back up clients, share media, enable remote access to your data and home computers, etc. when it's not running, i.e. you won't really be able to test it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by yterbium Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:49 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server will take over all hardware when it's installed, so you need to install Windows Home Server first, and the other OS second. In between you rearrange partitions so that there's room for the second OS. As an alternative, you could install it in a virtual machine, but to install as a vm you will need to meet the minimum requirements of Windows Home Server in your virtualization tool.

Also, consider that Windows Home Server is a server OS, not a desktop OS. It won't be able to back up clients, share media, enable remote access to your data and home computers, etc. when it's not running, i.e. you won't really be able to test it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by yterbium Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:49 PM
  • My CPU does not support 64bit virtualization... Thats why I wanted to get around it with .vhd. So problem is, that I should starť in reverse order :-).

Thanks for advice.

Have a nice day.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:50 PM