Is there any information about performance changes? RRS feed

• Question

• I am curious if there have been any performance improvements with respect to the drive extender and file access/streaming times. I have an HP WHS box with several drives attached through eSATA and find that file access times are noticeably slower than a comparable setup not passing through the drive extender. I am hoping that there have been some improvements in that regard. It would help a lot when using WHS as a hub Media Center videos/DVD rips. (I think that's my only real issue with WHS right now besides the older media streaming - file I/O times).
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:21 PM

Answers

• Drive Extender in Vail has been redesigned, and provides more robustness and control. There isn't any data yet with regard to performance, but feel free to test and report back your findings. Note, that this is pre-release code and is subject to change.

http://www.tomontech.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:36 PM

All replies

• Drive Extender in Vail has been redesigned, and provides more robustness and control. There isn't any data yet with regard to performance, but feel free to test and report back your findings. Note, that this is pre-release code and is subject to change.

http://www.tomontech.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Please note that a considerable number of known performance-related issues will be fixed between beta and the final release -- our process is to make it work first, ship a beta, and then to make it work faster, improve reliability, polish the UI etc. Additionally, the beta release has extra logging enabled which also might impact performance somewhat.

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:08 PM
  • I don't have a test machine I can try it out on, but I am curious/hopeful about this. I hope to see more about this as time goes on. If it's a notable improvement, it could single-handedly get me to upgrade (or get a second server for media). Hopefully someone who has the hardware can test this out and post on it.
    • Edited by Travis Illig Monday, April 26, 2010 10:25 PM Clarified language in third sentence.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Media performance in Vail today is more robust and full-featured than it was in V1. Even with Bulat's caveats. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:40 PM
  • What about the ability to play media on the server, use TV cards etc. It is possible now but what I ask is why have two boxes? Why not just one  box that plays and performs a server function. Surely this would mean greater penetration in to the home market. Microsoft listened to us with Windows 7, so why not listen to us for home server? I fully understand operating system and driver issues but Server 2008r2 is surely more flexible than server 2003. How about the word "hybrid"?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:07 PM
  • My primary usage is for DVD images (VIDEO_TS format) streaming to a Media Center front end, so I'm not really interested so much in TV cards and such... and while I'm happy for the DLNA improvements (Windows Media Connect was so limiting), VIDEO_TS is more a straight-up file streaming sort of problem, hence my original question.

Looking forward to more benchmarks and things as they become available. Hopefully the WHS team will release some data about that.

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:13 PM
  • Using the server directly as a media player is still not supported. Using it to store, stream (DLNA etc.) to devices in-house, stream some media via the Remote Access web site externally, all of this is supported.

See the Getting Started guide and other documentation on Connect for more information.

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Your primary use is my primary use, video-wise. (I also use an iTunes streaming server for audio; I'm currently exploring some alternatives there.) I see somewhat better performance with DVD images using Vail than V1. But that's not "streaming", per se . It's just file access from a share across a network.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:33 PM