Update killed my pc! "An Unauthorized Change Was Made to Windows" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I had a few windows updates installed automatically last night (March 11th 2009). Tried to reboot and windows will not start up, instead brings up a screen saying 

An Unauthorized Change Was Made to Windows

and asks me for my Product Key. I use the same GENUINE product key I bought a year ago that worked and was validated online as genuine microsoft, and it says the key is invald :s It won't validate online either because it says validation has to be done through product key, which I did a year ago.....I have been using this Pc that i built myself for a year now, bought genuine vista 32bit and validated and authenticated online, all of a sudden it has stopped working due to an update. I have tried System Restore to no avail because the dates I can roll back to are actually AFTER the updates have installed. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please? Seems like A LOT of people are having this problem since installing this update a few nights ago. I'm trying to get this fixed so I can turn off automatic updates - they cause so many problems on vista. Can Anyone shed some light on how I can fix this? I really don't want to reboot my computer because I have important files data on here that I use for work.

So far tried through cmd.exe - net start slsvc (says already running) tried stopping then restarting it and says started up successfully, but my product key is still being recognised as invalid.
    Also Tried sfc/scannow, completed 100% with no problems.

Hope someone can help me as I have quite a large number of colleagues having the same problem.

Thank You

Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:50 PM

Answers

• Managed to solve the problem

From the limited options I had including access to internet explorer, I carried out the following steps:

1. Startup windows as normal, instead of entering product key, I clicked ""Go online to validate that your software is geniune"
    2. Once internet explorer was up, I opened up command prompt by typing into the browser C:\ - to go to C. Then typing in the directory "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe"
    3. Once that was opened I typed in “net stop slsvc” This stopped the licensing thing (I'm not very techincal, sorry)
    4. Then I opened a new tab in internet explorer, went to C:\ then typed in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    Within that directory, i deleted the tokens.dat
    5. I then went back to my command prompt (black screen) and typed in typed in “net start slsvc” This started the licensing I had previously stopped.
    6. Staying in command prompt, I typed in "slmgr.vbs –rilc" Please make sure it is EXACTLY what is in quotation otherwise it won't work. that's (slmgr.vbs SPACE HYPHEN rilc). A window pops up saying it's reinstalling the licences. Leave it for about a minute or 2 then close it up.
    7. Once that's done, i then stayed in command prompt and typed in “slmgr –rearm” in the same manner as step 6, thats (slmgr SPACE HYPHEN rearm). A warning comes up saying it's done successfully. Click ok then Restart

Booty up windows as normal. The screen will come up requesting product key, type it in and THIS TIME it works fine and you have your computer back. Can you shed some light on what this process actually does please Darin? One of the people from work told me to try it and I did so spreading the word to the other 14 colleagues now because we all had the same problem for some reason.

I hope this helps anyone else having the same problem

• Marked as answer by Drivesmooth Friday, March 13, 2009 2:29 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hello Drivesmoth,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4)    When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5)    Return to this thread by Typing: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/5f4821cf-2b8d-411a-8eef-785bc3355748 into the browser address bar.

6)    In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Darin. I've run the diagnostic, sorry if first post sounded rude, was a bit frustrated because needed some data for work but I've had to call it off now and take it in on Monday.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Cached Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JP6K6-RD7Q6-8FX7G
    Windows Product Key Hash: tbIkWaAmEuXaIXY3b0nUiCWlwiM=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7359783-24367
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {9C39E748-7F84-4F16-95A4-2BA73A71D61A}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9C39E748-7F84-4F16-95A4-2BA73A71D61A}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-8FX7G</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7359783-24367</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4011815932-2527002841-3611769069</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MSI</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7366</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>V2.0</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20071025000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>BA313507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57660</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90170409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>5EA9C3672EB0500</Val><Hash>GZD+9sfb5ecL3RxyV4F75a86u2M=</Hash><Pid>72079-640-0000106-55110</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="17" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.0.6001.18000

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: NgAAAAEABAABAAEAAQACAAAAAgABAAEAJJSk1DYODinIccZ07MWiVjj28vQUWthNmk6sVswx

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   102507  APIC1721
      FACP   102507  FACP1721
      MCFG   102507  OEMMCFG
      WDRT   102507  NV-WDRT
      OEMB   102507  OEMB1721
      NVHD   102507  NVHDCP

Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Hi Drivesmooth,

I responded to you in another thread, but now that I see your Diagnostic Report, I see my initial diagnosis was incorrect.  Your issue is actually fairly simple to resolve.

The error code '0xc004c4a8' (see in the 3rd and 4th line of your Diagnostic Report) means that Vista is not currently activated.  To resolve the issue, you just need to re-activate.  If you are unable to re-activate over the internet, then follow the below steps to re-activate by phone.

Having to re-activate is usually caused by adding or replacing a significant amount of hardware in the computer.  Lately, however, some drivers (which is software, written by the hardware maker, that tells windows how to use a specific piece of hardware) will make it look to Vista like the hardware was added or replaced and as such, will sometime trigger Vista to requirer re-activation.  Microsoft is working with hardware manufacturers to help reduce the chance of this happening in the future.  So in your situation, one of the updates, that you metioned in your first post, may have been a driver update that triggered the re-activation event.

To Activate by Phone:

a)    If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type slui.exe 4 in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b)    If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The important thing to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, March 13, 2009 12:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Drivesmooth Friday, March 13, 2009 12:16 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Darin Smith MS said:

To Activate by Phone:

a)    If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type slui.exe 4 in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b)    If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

I don't have access to start button. Windows starts up and then from login screen a window, I get the Windows Activation screen asking me to enter my product key. Only Options I have are "Go online to validate that your software is geniune" and "NEXT". when I enter the code and press next, I get:

INVALID PRODUCT KEY
    The following failure occured while trying to use the product key:
    Code: 0xC004f050
    Description: The software licensing service reported that the product key is invalid
    [OK]

If I press ok it goes back to the screen requesting the product key. And only options are to validate online (which gives the message Activation is required).

This is the same window I get when I type in slui in cmd.exe after accessing it through internet explorer when it starts up trying to validate online.

Thanks
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:22 AM
  • so u don't see this on ur screen?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=22mcn3zjynm&thumb=4

is it bringing u up to this page?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=hhz5e5hjmim&thumb=4

if it is, all u hv to do is type in the address field:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe

run the program, and the startup bar will magically appear...supposingly...
    hope this helps...

celine
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:41 AM

•  Hi Drivesmooth,

When you click "Go online to validate that your software is geniune" 
    Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open.

1) In the browser address bar type c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe press enter,
    2) A new window (with a black background) will come up, type: slui 3 and hit enter 
    3) Type in the Product key that came with your Vista
    4) Click the Next button.
    5) You will be asked if you want to Activate, click ok
    6) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and may return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to the end of the 'Add Product Key wizard')
    7) Go back to the window with the black background
    8) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
    9) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
    10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

If it still says your Product key is invalid, call your local Activation Call Center and have them check the key. If the key comes up Genuine (which I believe it will becaus I see from our records that the key was first activated about a year ago) ask the Activation Rep to fix the issue or connect you directly to a Vista engineer that can.

Worldwide Activation Call Center list: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, March 13, 2009 12:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Drivesmooth Friday, March 13, 2009 1:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, March 13, 2009 5:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, March 13, 2009 5:39 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:42 AM
  • dokodemo said:

so u don't see this on ur screen?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=22mcn3zjynm&thumb=4

is it bringing u up to this page?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=hhz5e5hjmim&thumb=4

if it is, all u hv to do is type in the address field:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe

run the program, and the startup bar will magically appear...supposingly...
    hope this helps...

celine

I don't even get the page on your first screen shot. I get the second screen though when I click "Go online to validate your software is genuine".  Starting up Explorer doesn't work it comes up with error : Not enough quota is available to process this command.

Darin, I can't get past Step 4. Soon as I click next i get an error message pop up saying:

INVALID PRODUCT KEY
    The following failure occured while trying to use the product key:
    Code: 0xC004f050
    Description: The software licensing service reported that the product key is invalid
    [OK]

Only option I have is to click ok and it returns to that screen asking for product key. So the whole process is an endless cycle. This is the exact same window that comes up when i type in either slui 4 or slui 3. So I'm not sure whether this window is actaully blocking the slui commands and coming up itself, or whether this activation window I have is the same as what you want me to be going onto?

Thanks

Friday, March 13, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Managed to solve the problem

From the limited options I had including access to internet explorer, I carried out the following steps:

1. Startup windows as normal, instead of entering product key, I clicked ""Go online to validate that your software is geniune"
    2. Once internet explorer was up, I opened up command prompt by typing into the browser C:\ - to go to C. Then typing in the directory "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe"
    3. Once that was opened I typed in “net stop slsvc” This stopped the licensing thing (I'm not very techincal, sorry)
    4. Then I opened a new tab in internet explorer, went to C:\ then typed in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    Within that directory, i deleted the tokens.dat
    5. I then went back to my command prompt (black screen) and typed in typed in “net start slsvc” This started the licensing I had previously stopped.
    6. Staying in command prompt, I typed in "slmgr.vbs –rilc" Please make sure it is EXACTLY what is in quotation otherwise it won't work. that's (slmgr.vbs SPACE HYPHEN rilc). A window pops up saying it's reinstalling the licences. Leave it for about a minute or 2 then close it up.
    7. Once that's done, i then stayed in command prompt and typed in “slmgr –rearm” in the same manner as step 6, thats (slmgr SPACE HYPHEN rearm). A warning comes up saying it's done successfully. Click ok then Restart

Booty up windows as normal. The screen will come up requesting product key, type it in and THIS TIME it works fine and you have your computer back. Can you shed some light on what this process actually does please Darin? One of the people from work told me to try it and I did so spreading the word to the other 14 colleagues now because we all had the same problem for some reason.

I hope this helps anyone else having the same problem

• Marked as answer by Drivesmooth Friday, March 13, 2009 2:29 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Excellent Drivesmooth, glad you fixed it!

To answer your question, 1-6 are the steps to recreate Vista's Licensing Store (this was the next thing I was going to have you try).  Resetting and Recreating the Licensing Store can sometimes fix some Product key and Activation issues.

Step #7 extends the Activation Grace Period for another 30 days. This gives the user more time to Activate Vista. (Note: the slmgr –rearm command can only be used 3 times total, before it stops working). I encourage you to Activate Vista now so you don't forget. Vista should remind you, but it can be easy to miss.  If you have any problems Activating over the Internet, follow the Activate by Phone steps I posted above.

Thanks for comming back and posting what fixed the issue,
    Darin MS

Friday, March 13, 2009 5:39 PM