Windows Live One Care freezes on an UninstallKB RRS feed

• Question

• I used trial Live One Care.  The virus check freezes at C:\WINDOWS\$ntuninstallkb891781$\ The same thing happens with Windows Defender, AVG Virus and Malicious Software Removal Tool.  I had been communicating by Email with a Microsoft Tech and he kept asking me about a backup CD.  I can't see how that is relevant to this problem.  I really want to install the paid version of Live One Care but I want this freeze problem gone before I install it.  Would it be an advantage to go to a restore point prior to the time this freeze started, then install Windows Live One Care and remove the Defender?  Could it be something in the Registry that's hanging up all these safety programs?  I have my computer turned off most of the time because I have no real safety protection and I'm so tired of having all of them freeze every time I run them.  No other problems.  All of these aforementioned safety programs report they are running normally and have no problems.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Go to add/remove programs, select "show updates", find KB891781 and uninstall it. Restart your computer and scan with One Care. If the scan completes successfully download and install KB891781 from here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9490E7D2-03C2-463A-B3D0-B949F5295208&displaylang=en 
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Thank you for the prompt answer.  This KB number isn't in the updates listed in my Add/Remove.  I had tried to fund it in C: WINDOWS but that indicates the C: isn't indexed.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:01 PM
  • In add/remove programs you have to check the box at the top of the window that says "Show Updates".
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I did check the box and there is a long list of KB updates.  This one isn't in that list.  Since the freeze on the safety programs alwys occurs with "uninstallKB", could it be that it was uninstalled from the Add/Remove list and is maybe somewhere else on this computer and is confusing all of the safety programs?
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:28 PM
  • I think the issue may be that the uninstall file may be corrupted. If you already have Service Pack 3 installed it is unlikely you will need that uninstaller but to be safe I would copy it to a USB thumb drive or a CD, then delete the file from your system.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:38 PM