Office Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently upgraded both my laptop and desktop machines. I have a copy of Office Standard 2003, which I am trying to activate on the new desktop. Internet activation would not work, so I called the 800 number. I have been told that I can activate on a maximum of three different hardware configurations, and that this activation limit is in the EULA. I have gone back to re-read the EULA, and as far as I can see the EULA allows me to transfer the license from one machine to another, provided that I only have it on one desktop and one laptop at a time. Is there anything that I can do to escalate this issue, or do I have to just suck it up and go buy another license?
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:44 PM

Answers

• beylevem,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program forum.  Your issue is related to Windows Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the OGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may or may not help.

The short answer, you need to explain this to the telephone activation representative.

See the bolded information below:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Office by phone, follow these steps:

1.       Start any Office program.

2.       In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click Activate by using the Telephone, then click Next

3.       Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click Next

4.       In theSelect your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.

5.       Click Next

6.       On the “Activation Complete” page, click Finish

For more information on how to activate Office.

You may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Please locate the “Validate Office” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. We hope this information was helpful for you. Thank you for visiting the OGA program forum.

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:29 PM

All replies

• beylevem,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program forum.  Your issue is related to Windows Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the OGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may or may not help.

The short answer, you need to explain this to the telephone activation representative.

See the bolded information below:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Office by phone, follow these steps:

1.       Start any Office program.

2.       In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click Activate by using the Telephone, then click Next

3.       Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click Next

4.       In theSelect your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.

5.       Click Next

6.       On the “Activation Complete” page, click Finish

For more information on how to activate Office.

You may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Please locate the “Validate Office” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. We hope this information was helpful for you. Thank you for visiting the OGA program forum.

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Thank-you for taking the time anyway to respond to me. I tried (without sucess) to find a place on the Microsoft website where I could escalate the problem. I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday, initially with the phone activation center, which was unable to activate the product, and then with customer support. (this was all before posting the query above). I appreciate you taking the time even if this was not the correct forum.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:10 PM
  • beylevem,

Just so I have this correctly, you have this installed on 1 machine now, and you've explained this to MS Telephone Activation, and MS Support?

What were the statements they made fact-wise about your situation?

What troubleshooting steps did they take with you?

If you have some time, please run the following:

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Microsoft Office.

1. What edition/version of Office do you have? To find your edition/version click Start, Word Options, Resources, About,there you should find the title of your edition.

·         Office Basic

·         Office Standard

·         Office Home and Student

·         Office Mobile

·         Office Small Business

·         Office Professional

·         Office Professional Plus

·         Office Enterprise

·         Office Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=358c30c9-043a-47f4-b845-4591acd268a7&cID=fab9617a-57ff-4789-9397-6dac071b19b0&method=retail&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

I'm curious as to what your report will look like. However to be honest, the support techs are usually able to go farther with you since they have you on the telephone.

Rick, MS

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:41 PM