Remotely reset Internet Explorer 7 settings on WinXP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have posted this on two other MS Forums and was advised by Nicholas Li - Microsoft Contingent Staff, Moderator at System Center Essentials - Software Deployment   - to post the question here--:

I am trying to remotely install MicrosoftFixit50195.msi (Resets Internet Explorer). We are using ie7 on WinXP3. I am using "/quiet" but the remote install always fails. Anyone know what other MSI options I can use?? If i run the MSI interactively with "/quiet" the "RESET or CANCEL" window and then the "CLOSE" window always pop up. How can I do a completely silent install..??

If I am logged in to our test PC and at a command prompt I  manually type:

msiexec /i MicrosoftFixit50195.msi /qn

a silent install is started, skipping the Licence agree etc, BUT the two pop-up windows "RESET or CANCEL" window and then the "CLOSE" window always pop up.

I have tried creating a "Response Transform (MST)" but this does not help.

If anyone knows how to do a total silent install (e.g. by including one or more "PROPERTY" parameters) this would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, December 2, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

• Can anyone please help...?
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem, except this is Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7.

/Michael

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Hi Michael,

No I never got the silent install to work and we still have the problem of IE7 just shutting down completely without warning. If there are multiple IE windows open, they all just disappear.

If anyone else can help, please post.

Thanks - Tom.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:23 AM