WHS 2011 & NAS? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently in the throes of backing up WHS SP2 due to a hard drive wanting to die (drive 0...naturally). I'm using a Dell Poweredge 860 rack-mount server, but it has no RAID onboard and the only choices I have is SAS if I chose to do so.

Since I'll need to re-install the OS anyway, I'm thinking about going to WHS 2011.

I can buy a NAS device with gigabit network ports, and have multiple 2TB or 3TB SATA drives in it.

I was just wondering if I could set up the WHS to back up/share folders to the NAS, so I have a RAID of all the data?

Or can I use the NAS as an extension of the WHS and map the shares directly to it?

Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:18 PM

All replies

• You can use tools like SyncBack or SyncToy to back up Server shares to your NAS. You can also back up your complete Server (OS plus data) using the inbuilt tools to an external drive, but you are limited to 2TB of data.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:23 PM
  • You can use tools like SyncBack or SyncToy to back up Server shares to your NAS. You can also back up your complete Server (OS plus data) using the inbuilt tools to an external drive, but you are limited to 2TB of data.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

I suppose my other choice is to use both the internal drives as OS and ghost copy C:\ to D:\ and use external USB drives for the share folders, right? At least then, if the primary drive dies (SATA0) I can swap drives out and add a new one on SATA1 and have a new ghost drive created.

It would make downtime minimal that way.

Then I can set up the system to copy between the external drives as well, and have redundancy that way.

Are there any plug-ins that expand that 2TB limit? I mean, come on...2+TB drives are getting so prevalent out there that limiting to 2TB of data is crazy.

My WHS server right now is backing up 3.5TB to an external drive, due to the way they implemented the drive shares on the original WHS (OS, PC backups & data- ie. music, video & pictures). I currently have (2 ea.) 2TB drives installed inside the server.

Can you define where the backups from the PC's go as well on this version? If so, I can drop those onto a completely separate USB drive and keep that separate from my music/video/photos...

Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Or use one of your external drives for a Server backup (OS plus data) so you can restore the Server to exactly the status when/if you have a hard drive failure. If you want to back up more than 2TB you will need to delve into the underlying Server 2008 R2 system (outside the Dashboard).

Yes, you can define where the Client backups are stored.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:17 AM