Question about MCSM Directory Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I'm interested in pursuing the MCM:  Directory certification.  I've been working as a AD Directory Services administrator at a fairly large international company for several years now, I feel I've learned a lot and I'd like to take things to the next level.

I have several questions.

I see that the MCM Certification is been retired in favour of the MCSM, however the Directory Services path has not yet been published.  Is anybody aware of when the new MCSM: Directory path will be published?  I don't currently have my MCITPro so one of the things I will need to do is get that certification complete first as it is a prerequisite for the existing MCM: Directory certification.  I see that the MCITPro is been retired in June.  Should I pursue the MCITPro certification, or get the new MCSE: Server certification?

I've been working successfully in a large and complicated Active Directory environment for several years now.  I've also been working my way through the AD Post Graduate Studies reading list found here

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2010/07/27/post-graduate-ad-studies.aspx

I know these are both very good things which have dramatically expanded my knowledge and experience, but how do I prove that when I make my application?

Can anybody recommend any other courses, books, websites or other material I should work through?

Any information or experiences from other people who have gone down this road would be greatly appreciated.

Craig.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:44 PM

Answers

• I am not sure if and when they will re-introduce the directory path.  It seems Microsoft is leaning heavily towards cloud based solutions, and they may just be integrating the directory material into the new MCSE.  I do hope that I am wrong though.

My suggestion would be to take a look at the upgrade paths to MCSA 2012 first and complete one of the MCITP tracks listed.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/windows-server-certification.aspx#item-ID0EBAAAAEBA

Then take the upgrade exam 417 to get MCSA on Server 2012.  After that it's just 2 more exams to get MCSE.  This way gets you certified in several different technologies.

Keep in mind, it will be some time before organizations move to Server 2012, so being previously certified in 2003 or 2008 is a big plus.

• Proposed as answer by Virtuosoadmin Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Monday, January 28, 2013 10:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Something will probably be released later this year in this matter. It will definatly be Windows Server 2012 so it is a good idea to take those certifications.

To be double-sure you could always go for the MCITP: Server Administrator and then take the upgrade exam for MCSA: 2012 to have both certification-paths.

Microsoft is probably figuring this out with the earlier MCM:s to make a path for WS2012 but I have a feeling that they want to wait until more people are using it.

Cheers!

Please Vote as helpful if you find this useful. Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by ITHenke Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• bump

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:52 AM
  • I am not sure if and when they will re-introduce the directory path.  It seems Microsoft is leaning heavily towards cloud based solutions, and they may just be integrating the directory material into the new MCSE.  I do hope that I am wrong though.

My suggestion would be to take a look at the upgrade paths to MCSA 2012 first and complete one of the MCITP tracks listed.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/windows-server-certification.aspx#item-ID0EBAAAAEBA

Then take the upgrade exam 417 to get MCSA on Server 2012.  After that it's just 2 more exams to get MCSE.  This way gets you certified in several different technologies.

Keep in mind, it will be some time before organizations move to Server 2012, so being previously certified in 2003 or 2008 is a big plus.

• Proposed as answer by Virtuosoadmin Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Something will probably be released later this year in this matter. It will definatly be Windows Server 2012 so it is a good idea to take those certifications.

To be double-sure you could always go for the MCITP: Server Administrator and then take the upgrade exam for MCSA: 2012 to have both certification-paths.

Microsoft is probably figuring this out with the earlier MCM:s to make a path for WS2012 but I have a feeling that they want to wait until more people are using it.

Cheers!

Please Vote as helpful if you find this useful. Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by ITHenke Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Hello.

Thank you all for your posts.  I've been told to expect announcments regarding the Directory Services path soon.  In the mean time I will be pursuing the 2012 MCSE.

Craig.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:11 PM