Win32/FakeAlert.C RRS feed

• Question

• Everytime I reboot my computer Live oneCare finds this Trojan downloader.  No matter how many time I clean it and get the removed message it keeps coming back.  Obviously OneCare is not removing it or preventing it from infecting my system.  Please do something!!!!!!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:48 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

ewoznock,

Thank you for contacting the Live OneCare program forum.

Try going to http://safety.live.com download and run the scanner. Choose full system scan. See if the online scanner picks it up and removes it. Post back to continue support.

Rick, MS

Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Rick, MS,

Are the detections for recent versions of the Win32/FakeAlert family released much earlier for use with the Safety Scanner?

We commonly see complaints regarding these here, most likely because the OneCare client detections tend to be distributed more conservatively to reduce false positives or other potentail damage.

Our most common recommendation has been to contact OneCare Support for these, but if it makes more sense to have them try the Safety Scanner first this would be good to know.

Thanks,

OneCareBear

Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:18 PM
  • OneCareBear,

Virus and Spyware definitions are updated often with the Windows Live scanner. Via the uploading results portion, and then analyzation process begins.

Personally I try to stay away from the term "False positive" because I have hard time assigning definition to it, just to be honest. I can say that if my machine were infected, I'd rather try the Scanner first, and then support. The more I can do now for my system is more along the lines for me. If someone says they are an novice user, I'd probably suggest contacting support first.

I hope this information helps.

Rick, MS

Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:26 PM
  • I am not sure if I am having the same fake alert, but my computer keeps popping up with "you have a security problem."  I got rid of mcafee and ran remove malicious software tool.  It got rid of a trojan than was win32 and starts with an R, rowan or something and partially removed another.  I then loaded live one care and it removed one and quarantined another.  Still having the problem I ran the safety scan... it said I had no problem.  Although this hasn't popped up in a while, It was still doing it during the safety scan, so I am not sure it is completely gone.  Any Suggestions?

Thank you, 

Laura

It is still happening.  I have a sheild with an x on it next to my one care symbol in the taskbar and it is still popping up with the alert.

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Laura, in addition to other possible infections, it appears that you are infected with a rogue antivirus program. Since this might not be detected by OneCare, you will need to contact OneCare Support for help in removing it: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:16 PM
  • I just chased fakealert from a friend's computer with all of the symptoms of fake alert.

First, I ran the microsoft malicious software removal tool. That discovered tons of infections of various kinds and evidently cleaned many up.

Then I installed and ran AVG antivirus (the free version) and ran that. Fake alert seems to have gone away.  As to whether or not he needs to walk through the registry and do some manual cleaning, I am not sure. But avg recognized and got whatever the removal tool may have missed it seems.

His computer was almost unusable with the constant pop-ups warning that this or that was detected.

Friday, March 13, 2009 1:17 PM