Deleted user accounts still active. Anyone notice this??? RRS feed

• Question

• Just insalled WHS and notice this strange behavior.  Anyone else???

I'm logged into an XP Pro PC with an account.  That account is active on the WHS server and I can administrate the box.  I then delete this user account off the WHS server using the WHS's local Console client application.  When I go back to my XP Pro pc, I see a message telling me WHS doesn't recognize the user I'm currently logged in as....Good so far....  But if I disregard the warning message and run the "Home Server Console" from the XP machine's Start menu anyways, I can login and administrate the Server using the deleted account!  I can even create and delete additional user accounts.

I got a bunch of screen prints, but no way to attach them.

I submitted a bug here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=261865

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:58 AM

Answers

• Umm, you can only log in to the WHS console by using the administrator's password. You aren't really using the "deleted" account at all in this scenario. I think the popup regarding users is more of a convenience, because accessing the network shares on WHS is more seamless if you have the same account in both locations, and the passwords are synchronized. There is a heartbeat authentication message of some sort that seems to go on between WHS and client machines, but I don't think that's any more than "Has my password changed in either location?"
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:00 PM

All replies

• It's probably because the connection is still opened. You will have to reboot the server first or logoff your windows session to disconnect.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Umm, you can only log in to the WHS console by using the administrator's password. You aren't really using the "deleted" account at all in this scenario. I think the popup regarding users is more of a convenience, because accessing the network shares on WHS is more seamless if you have the same account in both locations, and the passwords are synchronized. There is a heartbeat authentication message of some sort that seems to go on between WHS and client machines, but I don't think that's any more than "Has my password changed in either location?"
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:00 PM