Splitting CRM 4.0 Server Roles RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a CRM solution where all of the CRM server roles are installed on a front end web server and the SQL databases are on an SQL back end. What I am aiming to do is move the Asynchronous Service from the current front end to a new one to spread the CPU usage.

I have managed to install only the Async service on the new front end using setupserver.exe and a config.xml file specifying the async server role. I then disabled the Async service on the first front end, and workflows started to process on the new async service on the new front end.

The issue that I am having is that I cannot seem to find a way to remove just the Async role from the first front end, so at the moment it is just set to disabled.

I tried to run another setupserver.exe with a config.xml file with InstallType key set to Uninstall and only the Async role in the Roles key, but it ended up uninstalling the whole thing.

Does anyone know how to remove individual roles from a server in the same way that you add them to new servers?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• hi
    you will not be able to do that.
    Disable the service is the only way I know.
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Hi Keir,

Tiaan ist right, there is no way to uninstall only the CRM async service from a server. The only way to uninstall the async service is, to uninstall the complete CRM server and then install it with a config-xml file to install the async service on another server.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:00 AM

All replies

• hi
    you will not be able to do that.
    Disable the service is the only way I know.
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks Tiaan.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks, Keir
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Hi Keir,

Tiaan ist right, there is no way to uninstall only the CRM async service from a server. The only way to uninstall the async service is, to uninstall the complete CRM server and then install it with a config-xml file to install the async service on another server.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    axcentro GmbH
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:00 AM