Next Beta/Released version RRS feed

• Question

• I know HDView is free, so I shouldn't complain.  But is there any word on when the next version will be released?  And will this become a released product, or part of some other MS product?

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hello.  We are hoping about 2 weeks.  Which will include a fix for FF3.

There is no plan to make this a released product.  It will continue to be a research prototype for the foreseeable future.  We do however hope to see the ideas that we test out in HDView become available in MS products such as Silverlight and Virtual Earth.

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Thanks Matt,

The one issue I have with HDView is that it requires other viewers to download a special package. 

First, many viewers don't know how to do this (its easy, but still....)

Next, many viewers will think its a virus/spyware/trojan/etc kind of thing and won't download it.  Or they don't have security rights to add it.

And its a Beta from "Microsoft Research".  Lots of people will avoid Beta's and anything from a Research group.  And the warnings and disclaimers are a bit scarey to many people.

So putting HDView into Silverlight will help the masses use it, but will not help FF, Opera, Safari and other users.

So far, I haven't seen any pano viewer that tiles, handles spherical panos, and controls contrast.  (Zoomify is close, but the last time I looked, it doesn't even do a circular pano.)  MS has something unique here, and can stay ahead of its competition.  But the viewer installation issues with FF, Opera and Safari may give others incentive to build a competing product.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:05 PM