What would happen if... RRS feed

• Question

• What would happen if I replace some part of my computer (like VGA card, HDD,...) before revalidating my windows 7 pro again???
    Monday, November 22, 2010 1:16 PM

Answers

• You can replace HDD and video cards typicly with no problme, if you change enough hardware a reactivation may become neccesary. In some situations you may have to activate by phone.

If you have any issues after installing new software post a diagnostic here and someone will help you.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 22, 2010 10:41 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:29 PM

All replies

• You can replace HDD and video cards typicly with no problme, if you change enough hardware a reactivation may become neccesary. In some situations you may have to activate by phone.

If you have any issues after installing new software post a diagnostic here and someone will help you.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 22, 2010 10:41 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:29 PM

If I replace my HDD (or VGA card...) by anther different one, can windows recognise me???
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Not you personaly, but if you were to image your HDD, replace it and restore your image to the new drive you would probably never even be prompted for a reactivation. It would take replacing several items to cause that. If you were to change the motherboard you would need to reactivate, if you changed a combination of a few different devices you could cause a reactivation to be neccesary.

I believe that windows 7 has a higher tolerance for hardware changes than Vista and XP but I am not certain, I have changed processors, drives and video cards and not needed a reactivation.

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:04 PM
  • On a side note.  I just wanted to mention that there are two types of consumer Windows Licensing: Retail and OEM. Retail is the normal software that comes in the full plastic box. OEM is the type that comes pre-installed in a computer from the manufacturer or is sold at a lower price and doesn't come in the pretty retail box.  The main licensing difference between the two types is that Retail allows you to move the software to different computers (as long as the software is only installed on one computer at a time.

The reason I mention this is because a computer is tied to the motherboard.  You can change any piece of the computer (aside from the Motherboard) and it will still be the same computer, but if you change the motherboard, a new computer is created.  So, if you install and activate an OEM copy of Windows on a computer and then change out the motherboard, the OEM license will not be valid on the newly created computer.

Darin MS
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:33 PM