money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Money 2004 with Windows 10.  Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing.  The Payee drop down window opens automatically as it has been setup to, but the Payee names do not show up.
    Saturday, February 29, 2020 9:20 PM

All replies

• I am running Money v12.0 under Windows 10 v1909 using Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode.

I have had exactly the same problem with the payee drop down (although the category drop down worked fine).  The only payees which appeared on the drop down were those which had no transactions (presumably those where in the past I had moved transactions but not the whole payee).

At first, I panicked, fearing the worst, as Money is very important to my financial wellbeing.  I assumed it was something I had done, but a file repair and a download of an earlier known good version of my .mny file from OneDrive confirmed this was not the case.

The only other thing I could think of that had changed were Windows Updates, and thought that the February 27 2020 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Versions 1903 and 1909 (KB4537572) might be involved.  So I uninstalled this update and lo and behold, the problem with the payee drop down issue was solved.

Although of course it was not solved, just postponed, as the update is automatic.  I have paused updates until 5 April.  Irony of ironies, this date is the end of the tax year here in the UK.

Monday, March 2, 2020 12:04 AM
  • I too did not like the February updates, and I think I found a way to stop them until I decide it is OK.  See https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/disable-windows-update-service-to-stop-windows-10-updates/comment-page-1/#comment-11717 for more.
    Monday, March 2, 2020 1:57 AM
  • The Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 x64 that was part of the February 10th 'Patch Tuesday " update was KB4534132.  This installed automatically unless you had paused updates.  It did not cause any problems with Money Sunset on my Windows 10 Version 1909 x64 machine.

I believe that KB4537572 is an optional ("Third Tuesday") update and will not be installed unless you go looking for it.  Let's hope that any problems that it causes will be fixed before it is pushed out with the March 9th "Patch Tuesday" updates.

Dont1549 - Do you have KB4537572 installed?  Is the problem fixed if you uninstall it?

Bill Becker

Monday, March 2, 2020 2:58 AM
  • I'm running Money 2004 (version 12.0, UK edition) on Windows 10 1909 and have KB4537572 installed - no issues with any drop-downs: payees, categories and classifications all working as they should. I've not set any compatibility mode for Money.

Jonathan.

Monday, March 2, 2020 8:28 AM
  • I'm running Money 2004 (version 12.0, UK edition) on Windows 10 1909 and have KB4537572 installed - no issues with any drop-downs: payees, categories and classifications all working as they should. I've not set any compatibility mode for Money.

Jonathan.

Jonathan

Since our setup is the same, I bravely reinstalled KB4537572 and the payee dropdown has not stopped working this time.  So something else (related or not) was interfering with Money, and my previous post should be viewed as an observation and not a direct answer to Dont1594's question.

I set the compatibility mode to avoid lengthy "Not Responding" periods when switching between areas, e.g. Bills to Budget.  Compatibility modes don't otherwise seem to affect Money's functionality.

Mathew

Monday, March 2, 2020 11:56 AM