How to increase size of SMB shares or 'drives'. RRS feed

• Question

• OK so I'm trying to get my head around this new concept of shared folders appearing as drives. Just spent ages figuring out that your can't have full write user access to the 'drives' if you share them, only if you share a folder within them!

I now have the problem of shared folders which I need 150 gb of storage in and they are only created with 10gb of storage. 

Anyone had this problem? Why have MS overcomplicated this so much?

Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:46 PM

Answers

• Is duplication turned on for the share in question? How large are the drives in your storage pool?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by joewalch Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:19 PM
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:12 PM

All replies

• Create your shares using the Dashboard, not on your own. A share created that way will have access to the entire storage pool.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, May 8, 2010 2:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by joewalch Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:31 PM
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Create your shares using the Dashboard, not on your own. A share created that way will have access to the entire storage pool.
    I tried that. It now gives me 25GB, I tried to copy the folders to the drive however its reporting not enough space.
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Is duplication turned on for the share in question? How large are the drives in your storage pool?
    • Marked as answer by joewalch Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:19 PM
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:12 PM
  • I have 2 x 1TB drives. Duplication is on, turned it off and I now have loads of space. An obvious answer thanks.

I suppose Vail needs to take into account the spare space in each share which all adds up.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:17 PM