Backup doesn't like compressed drives RRS feed

• Question

• Using WHS PP1:

I added a 320GB external (USB) HD for backing up the server & started the backup. I cancelled the backup part-way through & added the "compressed" attribute to the backup partition (using explorer when connected over MSTSC). After that the WHS console crashed every time I tried to backup the server or look at it's backups Sad

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or unsuported feature - but it would be really useful if I could use NTFS compression on the external drives used for backup.

If this can't work I'll probably just have to go back to robocopy batch files to backup the WHS shares!

JM

Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:25 PM

Answers

• It is documented in the Release Documentation that using NTFS Compression or Encryption is unsupported.   However, I still would like you to file a bug with your repro steps and the error message.  While there aren't any plans to address this issue with Power Pack 1, it would be good to have a record of your request with logs, and a description of your scenario you are tryign to accomplish

from page 5:

The following are known issues with this Public Beta, additionally these issues will not be addressed in the final release of Power Pack 1:

·         Files on Windows Home Server shared folders which are encrypted with NTFS encryption or compressed with NTFS compression will not be migrated or duplicated.

·         NTFS Hard-links pointing to a file on Windows Home Server shared folders cannot be created.

·         Files containing NTFS reparse-points or NTFS extended attributes are not supported on Windows Home Server shared folders.

·         Files on Windows Home Server cannot be migrated or duplicated while in-use by other applications that are running on Windows Home Server or on a home computer accessing files on the home server.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:41 PM

All replies

• It is documented in the Release Documentation that using NTFS Compression or Encryption is unsupported.   However, I still would like you to file a bug with your repro steps and the error message.  While there aren't any plans to address this issue with Power Pack 1, it would be good to have a record of your request with logs, and a description of your scenario you are tryign to accomplish

from page 5:

The following are known issues with this Public Beta, additionally these issues will not be addressed in the final release of Power Pack 1:

·         Files on Windows Home Server shared folders which are encrypted with NTFS encryption or compressed with NTFS compression will not be migrated or duplicated.

·         NTFS Hard-links pointing to a file on Windows Home Server shared folders cannot be created.

·         Files containing NTFS reparse-points or NTFS extended attributes are not supported on Windows Home Server shared folders.

·         Files on Windows Home Server cannot be migrated or duplicated while in-use by other applications that are running on Windows Home Server or on a home computer accessing files on the home server.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply - I'd missed that bit when reading the documentation Smile

Please can you put a request in (or tell me where to) for the WHS console to just display a warning if it encounters an encrypted/compressed drive - rather than crashing!

Thanks...

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:45 PM
  • I can't put a request in for you as only you know your exact 'repro' steps.

It is pretty easy to do -- follow instructions in this link http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3483872&SiteID=50

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:56 PM