New IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using a wireless internet connection at my home for quite a few years, and have had a static IP address.  My WHS works fine with the static IP.

Tomorrow, I'm dumping my wireless internet provider (long story) and getting cable internet.  I've also ordered a static IP address with the cable service.

The question is, how do I make the WHS work with the new IP address?  Do I just connect the the WHS Console, then select Remote Access and Refresh?  Will that work, or do I need to do something different?

Thanks!

Rick M

Rick McMillion
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:56 AM

Answers

• You will not need to do a thing. The Windows Home Server domain name you setup, ie. yourWHS.homeserver.com name, will automatically map to the new IP. Just make sure your new (or existing router) is either configured with UPnP enabled, for automatic port forwarding by the WHS, or manually by you for the appropriate ports, ie. TCP Port 80 (IIS)/TCP Port 443 (SSL)/TCP Port 4125 (RDC Proxy).

Why did you order a static IP address from your cable ISP? Usually that is extra cost and not needed by most home users.
    MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience, "When all else fails, read the instructions"
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:24 PM